Looking For Near Shore Sargassum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jensfisc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Socal Divers,

I am looking for a socal shore dive site with lots of living sargassum. The site must be outside of protected areas as I plan on harvesting the sargassum as a replacement for hops as a bittering agent in homemade beer. I have heard that the seaweed is very bitter compared to kelp and I wonder if making a good tasting beer could provide commercial incentive to remove the weed from our reefs. I am looking for a shore spot to keep the sargassum as fresh as possible before making it into the brew kettle but I have not really seen much in the 'harvestable' areas I usually dive (Crystal cove, CdM and the wedge) although I have seen it in Laguna but under the existing regulations it would be illegal to remove. Anyone spotted the weed outside of the MPAs? Also it is kind of ridiculous that MPAs extend to invasive plant species, definitely not the intent of that law.

Thanks, and let me know if you want to do a dive and a taste test (in that order) when the beer is made.

-Jens

There are a number of human uses for Sargassum horneri in Asia including salad, fertilizer and biofuel. Would be wonderful if we could get them to harvest ours (as it apparently is experiencing problems at least in Japan that may be linked to global warming.

I agree that it is completely insane that CDF&W not nly has done nothing to control the spread of this invasive species, but also makes it extremely difficult for others to do so in MPAs. It substantially diminishes the value of these MPAs in terms of protecting native species.

I've been told that CDF&W fish & game regulations do not permit the harvest of more than 10# of wet weight of this or any other seaweed per person per day even outside MPAs.

I agree that it is completely insane that CDF&W not nly has done nothing to control the spread of this invasive species, but also makes it extremely difficult for others to do so in MPAs. It substantially diminishes the value of these MPAs in terms of protecting native species.

I've been told that CDF&W fish & game regulations do not permit the harvest of more than 10# of wet weight of this or any other seaweed per person per day even outside MPAs.

Again, more government regulations to keep their thumb on us. Who does the Fish and Game answer to ? ? ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom