Looking for reviews of the Hollis H-160 DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The H-160 is a very nice, well priced, tow behind scooter.
Pros:
-Manageable weight to carry
-VERY well balanced- easy on the wrists
-Steers very easily
- Has a gradual start,... doesn't jerk your arms out of socket
- I finally got to try out the headlight, brighter than expected
-It has plenty of power to tow 2 divers in full technical gear
-It has 3 speeds (1 hr battery time on 100% speed, 2 hrs at 50% speed (slowest speed))
-I've had minimal maintenance issues on it
-The T-handle is nice for switching hands back & forth
-Nice carry handle to help with carrying the scooter or to hold it when in the water

Cons:
-When not in motion, it is very negatively buoyant, but "planes" out neutral once in motion
-The only issue I've had on it is the headlight has gotten moisture in it (Never any inside the scooter itself). I've sent the light in twice for this issue & Hollis has been very quick to replace it. It is quite simple to replace (an O-ring & a C-clamp)
-The trigger is a bit stiff & can cause hands to cramp after some time
-When the trigger is released, the motor will continue to run for 1-2 sec. Most people do not like this, I have learned to time myself to it. No big deal.
-The paint job scratches easily, I've only had mine in OW in the local quarry & has multiple scratches all over. It is only cosmetic & does not affect the DPV's operation at all.

Could be bad or good:
-Cruise control button is nice to relieve hands, but can get you into trouble quickly, if not prepared to quickly disengage.
-The changes in speed are progressive 1-2-3, 1-2-3. To get from speed 2 to 1, you must either go through 3 or shut the motor down & start over.

Overall the DPV has been very nice. I really like it as it has grown with me. I understand Scuba to be a series of give & take & take the DPV as the same. I know to gain something, I must give something up. The H-160 is a good smaller DPV for the diver. From what I read of the Tahoe Benchmark Tests, the H-160 did very respectfully for a DPV of its class. There are bigger, more expensive scooters for divers, but this one is just right for me right now. Hope this helps you in your decision.

Back
Top Bottom