looking to dive in mexico.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel is great, as you've already heard. We make a yearly trip there. We fly into Cancun, visit some Mayan ruins like Chichen Itza, Coba, Tulum, etc. before taking the ferry to Cozumel to dive. The ruins are incredible and shouldn't be missed if you go to the Yucatan. Also there is cenote diving if you want to try something new.

I love Coz. The diving is great & top side is fun too. I will second Xanji vote on Scuba Shack. Great operation, very accomodating & they do not do the cattle boat thing.

I have to agree that Coz is the greatest but be aware that Sept to Dec is Hurricain season. I have never traveled there then and the prices are ussually really good but I don't think I want to have my precious vacation time ruint by the weather.
I went to Pueto Vallarta last March, not high on my list to return to. Might try Cabo, that time of year not as affected by the weather but It couldn't be as nice as Cabo, or could it?

I agree with Kat. Robert and Roberta at Scuba Shack are great!!
As are there staff. I am leaving the 18th to go visit them again.

Stevsgarage:
How did you like Puerto Vallarta? I will be going there in Feb. We're taking all the kids, so this is not a diving vacation. But we are hoping to get in at least 2 days of diving. Any rec. on dive operations or dive sites?

Hi Kat,

Here's my last trip report:

"PV charming & romantic with lots of good places to eat (Cafe des Artistes highly recommended) & drink - not a dedicated diving destination. I trust you appreciate how different this Pacific coast diving is than Caribbean diving. Little coral, no sponge or vegetation, cool water, rocky/volcanic/sand bottom & good marine life, e.g., varieties of butterfly fish & surgeon fish far exceed that off eastern Yucatan. There is a possibility to see a manta, though unlikely.

If you want to dive & are inexperienced to modestly experienced:

Twin Dolphins (www.twindolphins.com.mx or www.twindolphinspv.com).

Chico's (www.chicos-diveshop.com).

Vallarta Adventures. Usually do not respond to outside inquiries. Just visit the shop when you get there. Runs fun party boat to Marietas Islands. Continental b'fast, open bar from around 11:00AM on, & snorkeling or 2 tank dive upon arrival. Boat holds upwards of 80 people. Diving on this trip can be unsafe. If you want to dive with them, do it from one of their smaller boats.

You'll want to dive Chimo, El Morro & El Morrito, where mantas are a possibility.

If you are an experienced diver who doesn't mind ~30 mile trip into the ocean, go to La Corbatenia with Mario Zornoza, "Vallarta Divers," Marina Del Rey #17, Marina Vallarta (322)1-04-92, email: vtadiver@tag.acnet.net.

Do be sure & inquire where any shops' marina (there a couple) is relative to your hotel. This can be some distance & the dive shops usually do not include this transfer."

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Hi stevsgarage,

... around Coz is June through November, with peak probability months being Sep & Oct.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom