loose thread on the wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mayastig

Contributor
Reaction score
ok i just got back home and when i took a look at my wing, for some unknown reason i have this tiny loose thread (you know the ones that appear when you pull on the stiches) on the seam of my wing. should i be worried about this?

I would put a drop of waterproof glue (like head cement for fly fishing) at the base of the thread and cut the rest off. If it unravels more, than contact the manufacturer!

ill give that a try, but first ill see if i can get it replaced...havent had the bugger more than 2 weeks now i got this to worry about!

It's common to have loose threads from the manufacture process, just make sure that the threads you're refering aren't structural (binding thread)
Inspect the thread and find out if it's from the material that the BC is made of or if the thread is the binding thread material.

My wing came with a few threads like you described and I just made sure that it wasn't the binding thread and burned them flush with the outer shell (after removing the inner bladder of course), it made sense to me to fix it myself since a replacement would have added a few shipping costs to me. Turned out that the loose threads were part of the outer shell material that came loose when it was cut, similar to when you cut a jean and the ends unravel until it sets in.

This BC has over 100 dives and no threads have come loose ever after the small shave performed by me.

What BC you have? Outer shell and bladder or single bladder type?

Of course, if you bought it locally, take it to your dealer and ask for an inspection of the BC.

its an eclipse...and it looks to be from the outer shell. but the more i look and inspect it, the more it looks like it came from the seam binding the out shell pieces together, something i dont really want to pull. ill have it looked at this monday... if its a defective wing ill get the shell replaced with a new one. has anyone encountered this too with a shell type wing?

oh well...thats a load off my back...being a newbie i got freaked out, but its just loose thread from the stiching (the ends i suppose) just like mandy mentioned

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom