Lost and found - Channel Islands, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Fortunate that the crew kept up with how many went out and who was missing.

By the U.S. Coast Guard

The Coast Guard located a 66-year-old man [Monday] morning that was reported missing from a dive boat near the Channel Islands.

Coast Guard Sector Los Angeles - Long Beach Command Center watchstanders received a call from the fishing vessel, Otravez, reporting a man had gone missing from the vessel. The vessel was conducting dive operations near Channel Islands, when one of the crewmembers noticed the missing diver and contacted the Coast Guard.

Coast Guard Sector Los Angeles - Long Beach Command Center watchstanders launched a MH-65 Dolphin helicopter, a Coast Guard Station Channel Islands small boat, and redirected Coast Guard Cutter Halibut to assist in the search. The MH-65 helicopter located the man in the water and directed the Coast Guard small boat and fishing vessel Otravez, to his location where he was safely recovered and reported to be in stable condition.

“We are grateful for the trust of the public when responding to situations like this,” said Capt. Ryan Manning, commander, Coast Guard Sector Los Angeles – Long Beach. “We strongly urge all mariners to wear life jackets, carry VHF radios, and contact the Coast Guard if you find yourself needing assistance on the water.”

Interesting, that’s not one the public charter boat names I’ve heard of for scuba diving out here.

Interesting, that’s not one the public charter boat names I’ve heard of for scuba diving out here.
I'd love to hear the messy details. Did the diver have a DSMB/SMB or some signaling device? No buddy mentioned, so I'm assuming he was diving solo (my preferred mode), but no DSMB/signaling?? Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot

I'd love to hear the messy details. Did the diver have a DSMB/SMB or some signaling device? No buddy mentioned, so I'm assuming he was diving solo (my preferred mode), but no DSMB/signaling?? Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot

Yeah would be interesting, maybe Ken Curtis can get more details, know he is pretty connected in the region.

Commercial fishing boat Otra Vez, out of Santa Barbara, the name is wrong in the article but correct on the USCG site. It does not say whether they were working or relaxing at the time of the call.

Boat #953463 | OTRA VEZ | Boat Database

Commercial fishing boat Otra Vez, out of Santa Barbara, the name is wrong in the article but correct on the USCG site. It does not say whether they were working or relaxing at the time of the call.

Boat #953463 | OTRA VEZ | Boat Database
Thanks! I’m not familiar with the SB dive boat scene, do you happen to know if they routinely run dive charters?

Thanks! I’m not familiar with the SB dive boat scene, do you happen to know if they routinely run dive charters?

They are not a dive boat, but a commercial fishing vessel. They could have been commercial fishing and doing a personal dive while out or out diving with friends. I don't know if there is any commercial fishing that uses scuba now.

"“We strongly urge all mariners to wear life jackets, carry VHF radios, and contact the Coast Guard if you find yourself needing assistance on the water.”"

VHF radios? Are they talking about Nautilus Lifelines? Did 'all mariners' mean on the boat, or are they talking about divers in the water?

Richard

"“We strongly urge all mariners to wear life jackets, carry VHF radios, and contact the Coast Guard if you find yourself needing assistance on the water.”"

VHF radios? Are they talking about Nautilus Lifelines? Did 'all mariners' mean on the boat, or are they talking about divers in the water?

Richard
Sounds like a generic statement about safety, rather than anything specific to diving. Diving with a life jacket is challenging.

Richard
I think the Coasties pick their words clearly enough to speak to anyone going to sea: mariners, not divers, with a emphasis on those who don't carry radios or wear life vests while boating. I have a pair of portable VHFs I bought 20 years ago before I discovered PLBs that I should rehome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom