Lost At Sea In Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Just kidding. And I hear your other points. I was wondering about the fishing too.
Only some sectons are in the preserve. Lots of common dive site are NOT in the marine preserve.

When first reading the post, I was wondering what was the rest of the story. I figure that there is some basis, but that times, distance, and speeds are all exaggerated. 10 minutes of drifting waiting for a boat is a long time and can easily seem to be more like 45 minutes.

My second thought was that, I'd probably be a fool and show up again for the 2nd day, but even slow learners like me would have changed dive ops by the third day. :)

Charlie99:
Only some sectons are in the preserve. Lots of common dive site are NOT in the marine preserve.

When first reading the post, I was wondering what was the rest of the story. I figure that there is some basis, but that times, distance, and speeds are all exaggerated. 10 minutes of drifting waiting for a boat is a long time and can easily seem to be more like 45 minutes.

My second thought was that, I'd probably be a fool and show up again for the 2nd day, but even slow learners like me would have changed dive ops by the third day. :)
Oh, I can see it. In Coz for the first time, prepaid a package that included the Op, don't want to lose those payments and/or cannot afford another Op, don't really know who else might be better, thinking they'll have better luck the third day. Possible. :14:

tkring:
Another tool for signaling is to take along a CD. It can fit in your BC pocket and weighs nothing but can reflect light.

Or if you want to be more stylish, take along an iPod and use the shiny chrome back to signal with...

Oh, and at best, i think the originator of the thread is exaggerating and at worst is flat out hosing us... my $.02

catherine96821:
I wish valwood1 would guess at the current speed. I am fixated on that.

I have no idea of the current's speed, but do know that, during the dive at Palancar Horseshoe, I never felt that the current was whipping me along (as I've had happen at other sites, particularly Paseo del Cedral, for example), and was able to swim easily into the current on a couple of occasions.

Bill

DandyDon:
Go for it, but would you really expect them to admit any of this if true? :D

I have sent them an email with a quote of the original post, and suggested that they may want to respond.

As for admiting truth, I for one believe we have not heard it yet. I suspect that there is a lot more to this story than just that of two divers who did everything they could to stay with the DM, but somehow could not do to incompentence on the part of the DiveOP. I'm betting that the real reason the divers were not picked up immediately was because the Captain was picking up the DM, and the rest of the group rather than fishing, or lost at sea.

However the original poster has one post to his credit, does not seem interested in providing more details, and other than hearing from the DiveOp there is little we can do other than to speculate. It appears however that even some of the less slanderous facts are very open to question like the 6 knot current, or the 1.5mile cross current swim in 45 minutes (assuming they swam like HECK the entire time they were on the surface).

As you are VERY aware Don, when one posts complaints against an op, the OP may reply with facts that were previously unknown, and things become very different then what was originally posted. :11doh:

As you are VERY aware Don, when one posts complaints against an op, the OP may reply with facts that were previously unknown, and things become very different then what was originally posted.
Yep - it is interesting that the originator hasn't responded here. A new member usually automatically gets an email every day that someone posts to a thread he's subscrbed to - until he learns to turn that off. :D

It would be interesting to see a response from the other side of the story - thanks for the action. :thumb:

Charlie99:
On no! You're gonna make me go figure out who initiated the Mask On Forehead thread. :banana:

It was bubblesjw. Two posts total...:D

Diver Dennis:
It was bubblesjw. Two posts total...:D
I hope he figued out how to turn off automatic emails evertime someone posts on the thread.
cheeky-smiley-023.gif

Hello!
My name is Jorge Alonso and I'm Ecodivers Manager.
I'd like to clerify that Roberta's dive shop/Blue bubble divers is NOT Ecodivers, they are Eco- Cozumel.
Roberta put the Eco-cozumel name after, years after we chose to be called Ecodivers, even though it was a lack of respect to use similar slogans, we've been affectedf by comments like this several times. Unfortunately the ones that use Blue Bubble don't have much luck in their dives.
Please check our web site and the ones that have dove with us know that there is a big difference between Ecodivers and Eco-Cozumel.
Thanks
Jorge Alonso
(987)87 25628

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom