Lost At Sea In Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floating around for 35 or 45 minutes is still a very long time... i would feel worried after 15 minutes... when do you consider it a LONG time then? 1 hour? 2 hours?

some ppl here defend that it should be ok to float around for 35 or 45 minutes, but i think anything more than 15 minutes is too long...

the op may not have a lot of posts, and probably just wanted to vent and find somewhere to vent...

whose right and whose wong? we will never know the exact details...

I just read through this thread and have a few observations:

1. It may or may not be possible, but it would make sense that a dive OP would attempt to do some kind of check dive with the divers before taking them on advanced dives. It would give the DM the time to gauge the skill level of the divers. Most divemasters are very very adept at being able to tell how nervouse the divers are before they get in the water.

2. New divers have no buisiness doing that dive. Somebody with 6 dives may be comfortable in the water, but what happens when things go wrong? I have been to Coz a few times and the outfit we were with wouldn't even think about taking us on that dive until they had spent some quality time in the water with us.

I understand that competition is stiff down there and I understand that they are in buisiness to make money. I just have to question why one dive operator refuses to take divers to that site until they can gauge experience vs another who apparently will take people to that site regardless of experience.

As for Roberta, I am inclined to believe her version of the story. Jimmynac or whatever is obviously upset because he had a negative experience which was brought on in part by a dumb movie he watched. I watched "open water" as well, but man that is the last thing I think about after a great dive.

I dove with BB last year, 17 dives in 7 days. Super nice owners, very good DM's and boat Captains. I am returning and diving with them again in Sept. That is not to say that one bad boat Captain can't make for a bad, and dangerous; trip. I have no hesitation about diving with BB, but I will be more attentive to the details.

Glad all were safe, but I agree with another reply, and this applys to ALL divers.
Take responsibilty!
If somethng is not right the very first day(even a seemingly small detail), address it with the dive operator immediatly. Your vacation experience, and your life depends on every diver taking personal responsibility; to look out for every other diver.

I hope your next diving experience is fantastic and safe.
-Toadf1sh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom