Lost diver at Catalina 11/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa:
So sad. Daniel must have borrowed his buddy's weights to go back down. Lead is not worth a life. My condolence’s to his family.

Dave

The article says they went back down together and then got separted. One belt between them surely would not have been enough to get them down unless they were grossly over weighted at the beginning of the dive. Another belt must have been offered from someone else.

This is very sad.
Does anyone have any updated information regarding the accident? I am aware of the press release, but I'm sure some of us have heard more details.
Tom

I saw Roger's post over the weekend. Jaye's been asking if I knew anything more...

I wish I didn't now. Hope we get a little more information - this is so senseless.

Prayers to his family, and to the crew of the GE.

---
Ken

I was on the Sundiver to Catalina Saturday and heard the news. My understanding (from another board) is that he dropped a single weight pocket from his BC and went after it. I don't understand how they let someone off the boat and back in the water with 500 psi.

merxlin:
I was on the Sundiver to Catalina Sunday and heard the news. My understanding (from another board) is that he dropped a single weight pocket from his BC and went after it. I don't understand how they let someone off the boat and back in the water with 500 psi.

I've dived on the GE numerous times, and I can't imagine they would... my totally uninformed guess is that the diver hadn't actually gotten back on the boat yet, but was still floating out in the water with his buddy when he decided to drop back down quickly to get the missing pouch.

I'll be very curious to hear the cause of death eventually. Was the tank empty? Was he tangled in kelp? Or was it a badly-timed heart attack? :(

The artical does have several discrepancies but just with any accident we should avoid speculating until the whole story is available. The artical does make it very clear that he never got off the boat with only 500PSI. He was already in the water.

The problem with recreational dive accident analysis is that the whole story is never available. Buddies and non-professionals at the scene usually don't comment because they're afraid of being involved in litigation. Professionals on the scene are almost certainly going to be involved in litigation so they can't comment. Those at the chamber and any health care workers can't comment because of medical right to privacy laws.

The only people that you'll usually find discussing the accident on the web are those with 2nd or 3rd hand information. It's really unfortunate because we could all learn a lot more about how to be better divers if info was readily available.

When I was learning to fly, my instructor made me read years of back issues of the National Transportation Safety Board accident summarys that are published quarterly. If something like this existed for SCUBA, it would be sad, morbid, and sometimes viewed as disrepectful of the diver when they were at fault, but I think it could help the community learn. If nothing else it would serve as a reminder that things can go wrong so be prepared. The problem is that it is impossible to compile due to the legal concerns listed above.

My heart goes out to Daniel's wife and kids.

Ross-O

Codyjp:
The artical does have several discrepancies but just with any accident we should avoid speculating until the whole story is available. The artical does make it very clear that he never got off the boat with only 500PSI. He was already in the water.

It does appear that way from the article. I had heard otherwise. I hope that is the case and it was the divers (ill-fated) decision. Given the conditions Saturday morning (socked in with fog) I doubt much of a search could have been done.

Condolences to Captain Tim and his crew...hope this doesn't push him to selling the GE...he's certainly had his share of bad luck this year.

Back
Top Bottom