Lost diver - Port Royal Sound, South Carolina - Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Triple tap, looks like we had the forum was having issues.

I bought a PLB last year. Most of my dives are pretty tame, but you only need to screw up once.

In fairness to this guy, he may not have been swept away from his boat and he may have a PLB with him. If had a heart attack on the bottom or was hit on the head by a pitching hull, his previous mis-adventure was irrelevant. Why don’t we wait until we have some facts before making uninformed judgments about how he passed.

I bought a PLB last year. Most of my dives are pretty tame, but you only need to screw up once.

In fairness to this guy, he may not have been swept away from his boat and he may have a PLB with him. If had a heart attack on the bottom or was hit on the head by a pitching hull, his previous mis-adventure was irrelevant. Why don’t we wait until we have some facts before making uninformed judgments about how he passed.

@CT-Rich. I agree that we should not make uninformed judgments about this diver, but did I miss something in this thread that confirms that the diver passed as you stated?

@CT-Rich. I agree that we should not make uninformed judgments about this diver, but did I miss something in this thread that confirms that the diver passed as you stated?
I think he was just giving a hypothetical example to explain why we should blame the guy for being careless.

The prior accident was with his 66 year old buddy and they were found separately and quite far apart. That was what I was trying to reference.

Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

This is blackwater diving with, usually, high current. If you were going to dive in these conditions strapped to another diver, you might as well stay on the boat and play tug-of-war instead. The odds of encountering one another on the surface are nil.

This article recalls the whole story of the two accidents, and provides info on the missing GPS:
https://www.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article242405716.html
Thanks for that link.

So after the two spent the night drifting last month, they agreed to a safer plan: "She said the men agreed to have one stay on the boat while the other was in the water. The diver would stay on the safety line so he couldn’t be carried away by the current. Both men would wear GPS monitors."

He bought one, a PLB I suppose, but forgot it. So the other diver loaned him his, except he forgot it on that last dive. What happened to the safety line idea?

He sounds like an admirable chap donating shark teeth to charities and all, and a family man with his wife, kids, inlaws, and parents now on the sad scene. It's now been three nights. I gave up on a group of lost divers near Komodo island after a few days, but then they were found on the island fighting off dragons by throwing rocks. I'd like to be optimistic here, but how long can he survive without drinking water even if he is on the surface and not the bottom?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom