Lost it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steve from maine:
could you tell me what a ss backplate is, and does it add any weight? Thanks again for everyones help, before seeing this thread I had not even thought about the weight issue except to try on my wetsuits to make sure they still fit. Steve from Maine .

If you were trained many years ago you might still remember the "old" plastic backpacs and horse collars that were in use before the advent of "poodle" jacket BCs. :eyebrow: A ss backplate is a stainless steel backplate; think flatter and more "high tech" backpack. Yes, they are heavier but adding a wing (the BC component) to a standard (not heavy) BP effectively nuetralizes much of the inherent negative bouyancy of the plate. Rick's dramatic lead reduction is more likely due to his losing weight.

steve from maine:
Rick, being new to scubaboard, this forum, and this issue in particular, could you tell me what a ss backplate is, and does it add any weight? Thanks again for everyones help, before seeing this thread I had not even thought about the weight issue except to try on my wetsuits to make sure they still fit. Steve from Maine .

A Stainless Steel backplate and wing BC arrangement will add between 6 and 24 pounds of negative buoyancy to the rig, depending on the plate thickness. Most are ~6 pounds. In addition to adding negative buoyancy the normal jacket bc has several pounds flotation built into the "harness" and tank support padding you won't have to add lead to compensate for. Many jacket style BCs will also not vent fully so they retain another 2 to 5 pounds of flotaion just in trapped air.
Not only does the plate/wing assembly add weight over your lungs where you need it for trim, it does NOT have any added net buoyancy and the associated drag components that drive up air consumption rates. It's not unusual for a "-6 pound" bp/w rig to remove 10 or more pounds of "dead" weight belt ballast requirement when compared to being "properly ballasted" with the prior "poodle jacket" BC and the diver's normal body and thermal protection.

FT

steve from maine:
I could use some help, as I remember it, the rule of thumb when I went through my training 15 years ago was for a diver to put on wet suit BUT NOT BC, REGS OR TANK and adjust weight to point that water level came to just under your nose. Does anyone know if this is still standard practice?
With the wide variety of tanks available, this method of weighting doesn't make much sense. For example, the common AL80 is about 4 pounds positive bouyancy in saltwater when empty, while the HP PST 80 is about 3 pounds negative --- so just changing from one 80 cubic foot tank to another would change the amount of lead needed by 7 pounds.

The most reliable method is to hop in the ocean with all your gear.

Doing weight checks in a pool is also pretty reliable, since the fresh to saltwater conversion is a pretty straightforward 2.5% to 3% of total dive weight (about 6-8 pounds for most people).

Charlie

The 1/8 ss backplate and single tank adapter. the weight is around 10lbs.
I use steel tanks I have 4-95s and 2-104s so my lead should stay low!
The pool I used atlantic aquasports is a salt water pool.
Boy I cant wait to get diving. didn't even want to come out of the pool :)
Rick L.

Gabe lost it, I seem to have found it(or some of it at least!!)LOL

LobstaMan

ScubaNorth:
Hey Gabe great job. Less chance of overheating this season and better air consumption.

thats for sure .. man that day sucked ....
nothing like getting with in 20ft of the water and then haveing to call the dive
because you fell like you are going to pass out for the heat.

The owner don is a great guy too!!
I drive 45 minutes to go there. When there are 2 shops within 10 minutes of me!
Great air fills too!!!!!!!!!!
Rick L.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom