Lower Weight Pockets on SMS 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba127

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just read a review of the SMS 50 on another board. This individual is saying that the lower weight pockets on the SMS 50 are too small for standard 3lb. block weights - primarily whats used at most dive destinations I've visited. Is this true? If so, were the pockets intended to house bag weights only? Thanks in advance.

The largest solid weight I have been able to fit in the lower pockets was a cylinder shaped 2 lb weight that I used with my UTD wing. The standard block weights like they use on most dive boats the largest I was able to fit is ONE Lbs weight. A three pound bag weight will fit but it is a really tight fit. The top pocket will take some three pound block weights but try before you buy because the thinner weights are to large to fit.

I also replace the inflation hose since it was so short that I could oral inflate. The only other comment is they included the huge cold water clips in the kit with the BC and I wish it had little more lift.

I have dove it in the lake I can say I love the BC, it trims out nicely for me and provides the lift low enough not to fight trim and only need two lbs of trim weight up high. I use the d-rings on the waist belt for AL80 so leaves lot of room for attaching reels and etc to the butt plate. I ran some bungee up though the upper holes in the butt plate and the bungees hold my canister light perfectly between the bottom of the wing and the handles. The bottom unused holes in the butt plate are spaced perfectly for a cabinet handles to attach and I attached one going across the bottom two holes. I add two Halcyon trim pockets to the waist belt behind the wing for weights. Other than the weight pocket issue this is well build BC that was well thought out and has become my favorite after just a couple of dives.

The largest solid weight I have been able to fit in the lower pockets was a cylinder shaped 2 lb weight that I used with my UTD wing. The standard block weights like they use on most dive boats the largest I was able to fit is ONE Lbs weight. A three pound bag weight will fit but it is a really tight fit. The top pocket will take some three pound block weights but try before you buy because the thinner weights are to large to fit.

I also replace the inflation hose since it was so short that I could oral inflate. The only other comment is they included the huge cold water clips in the kit with the BC and I wish it had little more lift.

I have dove it in the lake I can say I love the BC, it trims out nicely for me and provides the lift low enough not to fight trim and only need two lbs of trim weight up high. I use the d-rings on the waist belt for AL80 so leaves lot of room for attaching reels and etc to the butt plate. I ran some bungee up though the upper holes in the butt plate and the bungees hold my canister light perfectly between the bottom of the wing and the handles. The bottom unused holes in the butt plate are spaced perfectly for a cabinet handles to attach and I attached one going across the bottom two holes. I add two Halcyon trim pockets to the waist belt behind the wing for weights. Other than the weight pocket issue this is well build BC that was well thought out and has become my favorite after just a couple of dives.
Would you pic your configuration here?

Back
Top Bottom