LP95 vs. HP100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the lp 95 works for you then stick with it. Personally i like it better becuase of it being a lp tank. If on the other hand you find your self top heavy trim wise then perhaps the longer hp tank would help shift the weight more to your hips and still allow you to reach the valves. Another concern would be if you are going to change from a full suit to a shorty or no suit the hp tank being nearly 10# lighter is an absolute adnavtage. I have that issue when i wear my lavacore instead of my 3mm shorty. just a few #s of buopyancy changing can be a big deal.

Another concern would be if you are going to change from a full suit to a shorty or no suit the hp tank being nearly 10# lighter is an absolute adnavtage. I have that issue when i wear my lavacore instead of my 3mm shorty. just a few #s of buopyancy changing can be a big deal.
I am missing point how suit change is impacted LP or HP decision. LP95 and HP100 have mostly the same buoyancy characteristics (Full/Empty)

Thanks for all the input guys. I have 2 of the lp 95 right now and I have good dive times with them. They do not have the + rating but I do get them over filled depending on who does the fill. I like the trim I have with them I just think they are so freaking heavy on shore. Looks like I will keep them and invest in a dolly to get to and from the car and shore with. I shore dive 99% of dives but once they are on my back I am fine.

if you're shore diving, you would certainly appreciate the HP100's being that much lighter.

KWS, the HP tank is the same length, literally. The top heavy comes from how butt floaty the 95's get when the PST's at least stay pretty flat as they get empty. Buoyancy characteristics are essentially the same, the HP100 is 0.5lbs heavier when full than the lp95, and the lp95 is about 3lbs heavier when cave filled. Exposure protection is irrelevant

Honestly, I dive with HP120s - and the only reason is because I could not find a local shop willing to give me a "cave" fill. Call or visit all your local shops. If one agrees that they'll give you a 3500psi fill in an LP tank, I think it's a hands down, no contest decision to go LP85 or LP95. However, not including central Florida, I have encountered very few shops who are willing to do this.

HPs have great profiles. Mine are the 7.25" diameter Fabers, and I'm 6'1 so I like the length and slim profile. My dive buddy is 5'8 and he also dives HP120s, but has an 8" diameter set, which for him much better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm 5'9" and dive with HP120's. Although they are taller, I don't have any issue loading them off and on our boat.

LP95's are 8" diameter big heavy clunky tanks. I like carrying my wife's HP100's. My own tanks are HP120's which are a little more awkward to carry since I have to bend my arms to lug them around. I have LP85's that are ok, except I never use them. But everything is the same diameter.

Low Pressure is easier to fill and you willfind more places/boats that can do it completely.

I have two LP 95's and honestly the only thing they get used for single tank dry suit dives or for students on the deep dive in my Advanced classes. Getting good fills for me is not a problem with LP tanks. HP's are more difficult. Ran into during some classes away from home. Which is why I only own one and it is more an air source for reg service. Can't recall the last time it was in the water.

If I could be assured of student being able to rent 95 + cu ft tanks and getting good fills for deep classes I'd sell these or trade them for another set of LP 85's. But since most shops and quarries rent Al80's or LP 72's I need to keep the 95's since an AL 80 is not safe for deep dives to 90 feet. And less than 80 feet is a lazy instructor's deep dive and I don't count that as deep for training.

an AL 80 is not safe for deep dives to 90 feet.
Would you please explain this phrase ?
Just come back from two 100 ft dives. One did on my HP120 and second on previously rent in LDS AL 80, because place doesn't provide filling station.

Back
Top Bottom