Lung capacity trainer / Endurolung ? Mouthpiece with tube, anyone have one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The gadget is not really aimed at improving "lung" function but rather breathing power technique. Many people simply do not breathe deeply or with much control of the diaphragm. As such they exchange air like a humming bird flaps it's wings and their SAC is high. This device, or snorkeling (extended wind pipe & some water column resistance), or singing all force you to develop control many do not have and would require a prohibitive amount of bottom time to attain. This thing just makes you work at breathing or suffocate! Don't over think it, it's that simple.

Pete

If you took a runner that trains in high elevations and bring them down to sea level they would be able to run circles around somebody that trains at sea level. The reason is obvious, the air is thinner the higher you go so when you get closer to sea level your lungs function more proficiently, so if you "trained" your lungs to work harder in normal conditions than in theory when you breath normally your lungs would work more efficiently. so technically you can "train" your lungs.
That has nothing to do with training your lungs. That has to do with the amount of hemoglobin you develop at higher altitude. Essentially, you've trained your blood by increasing red blood cells, then go down to sea level and you have more red blood cells, thus more oxygen carrying capacity. Still the same exact lungs.

That has nothing to do with training your lungs. That has to do with the amount of hemoglobin you develop at higher altitude. Essentially, you've trained your blood by increasing red blood cells, then go down to sea level and you have more red blood cells, thus more oxygen carrying capacity. Still the same exact lungs.

Ah, the other half and more complete side of the story! I knew there was more to it than just tolerating hypoxia... actually adapting to overcome it. Just couldn't seem to put my finger on it though. It kills me that I've probably forgot more than I'll ever hope to learn again...

If you train yourself to work with lower partial pressure O2 (altitude training), how exactly is that going to help with diving where the ppO2 is significantly increased due to pressure? You are NOT O2 deprived in normal diving, usually quite the opposite.

Now, if you TRAIN, as in aerobic cardiovascular training/working out at altitude, the added altitude stress may provide benefits for general diving by allowing your metabolic system to 'coast' better at the low aerobic levels demanded in regular diving. But, it won't be an O2 thing, it'll be from the benefits of training. A higher hemoglobin level is of no particular benefit. Most of the benefit will be in improved heart function and mitochondrial enrichment/improvement at the cellular level where RESPIRATION occurs. This is one of the major benefits of aerobic training.

So after two pages of comments your expertise has still not answered the OP's question:

What about this thing? The OP didn't ask about training or lung function or whether or not you're a respiratory pathologist; the OP simply asked about this item. Do you have one? Have you owned one?

I'm upset because I now want the info and I rely upon this board for a lot of good stuff, but instead of no answers a reader of this thread has to wade through two pages of people splitting hairs about the definition of breathing and thin.

You're posts are anti-knowledge full of fact, and this one is just a complaining rant.

Why would you want to, essentially, breathe as if you were in the middle of an asthma attack?

The thing I've noticed with practicing breath hold swimming is that you are 1. Improving your swimming efficiency and 2. Decreasing the natural driver to breath when co2 level is high,which is a central nervous system drive, not lungs. This is probably similar to smokers with COPD, who's natural drive to breathe is changed to an O2 driver, rather than CO 2
None of this has anything to do with increasing the muscle strength of anything. Lungs are not a muscle and cannot be "trained".

---------- Post added December 17th, 2013 at 02:00 PM ----------

The gadget is not really aimed at improving "lung" function but rather breathing power technique. Many people simply do not breathe deeply or with much control of the diaphragm. As such they exchange air like a humming bird flaps it's wings and their SAC is high. This device, or snorkeling (extended wind pipe & some water column resistance), or singing all force you to develop control many do not have and would require a prohibitive amount of bottom time to attain. This thing just makes you work at breathing or suffocate! Don't over think it, it's that simple.

Pete
Yoga is excellent at training breath control. Or, teach yourself to play an instrument. A recorder is cheap, easy and requires very good breath control.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom