lung expansion???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but, jepuskar, if no-one questioned received wisdom we would never have people like Bruce Wienke developing concepts like RGBM and we would be stuck with Haldane's theories alone and we would still believe the world was flat!

To my mind there is nothing more laudible than an enquiring mind.

:wink:

You are my new found hero. Thank you for giving me all the case study links I am going to start reading about them.
Also, thank you for validating the simple art of asking questions. The question was asked because i wanted support from the technical side of things.

i cant wait to read all these links and pass them on to others.

mtdivegirl once bubbled...
You are my new found hero. . .
i cant wait to read all these links and pass them on to others.

Mtdivegirl, much as I like the idea of being a hero (we doctors are very seldom considered as such) your admiration should be directed to moderator, Bill P. Although we are singing from the same hymnsheet I must confess it was he who posted all those links!

I would think you would have to try really hard to hold your breath against the pressure..and why would you?

Actually, in normal condition (mental & physical) it's imposible for you to hold your breath (intentionally close epiglotis) agaist pressure to the point of lung overexpansion, at least for untrained people. If you know how to pack your lung (in freediving), you will see that just a small increase of pressure will make you caugh to open the epiglotis.

But unfortunately, if your epiglotis is closed unintentionally in a terrible condition, eg. panic, scared, inhaling water, etc, or if your airway is obstructed as a result of sickness or anything else, then in combination with a fast ascent your lung (alveoli) will most surely to be "bursted"!

As a diver in general, my first enemy is panic, and I never dive in bad condition (mental, physical, weather). As a scuba diver, I never ascend fast, never look down on lung overexpansion nor DCS, but hold my breath all the time! As a freediver and a scientist, I oppose both scuba rule "never hold your breath" and freediving rule "never inhale compressed air at depth." The "common wisdom at the time" (actually the common stupidity of the time) that "if a freediver inhale compressed air at depth, his/her lung will be bursted" did kill the beautiful freediver Audrey Mestre in the same year this thread was started, 2002, and just 1 month 1 day after the last post by Dr. Thomas!!!

In conclusion, lung overexpansion (pulmonary barotrauma) is not a myth, no way! But its cause is not "breath holding". I will post video clip of my demo of inhaling compressed air at depth (10 metres) then ascend breath holding. Anyone want to see if my lung bursts, just stay tune...

Sincerely

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom