Madison AL Aquatic Park Reopens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
Lee, I didn't mean to imply that about you. My aplogies to you and everyone if it did.

I was addressing everyone. It's going to be great to have a place to dive again locally.... just mostly a FYI to everyone who is not familiar with what is happening to bear with the transistion.

If I wasn't "stuck" down here diving in the ocean (sarcasm implied) I'd be up there this weekend diving in the quarry!

No you wouldn't, you would be diiving Bluewater with us :D !. BTW thanks for letting me borrow the tanks.

diveral:
No you wouldn't, you would be diiving Bluewater with us !. BTW thanks for letting me borrow the tanks.

I'm glad my Nitrox tanks had a good time with you in Bluewaters...

my yellow tanks (air) were in the gulf this weekend diving. They had a good time also :D

Mike_S,

I was there on Saturday and there were no restrictions as to what type of equipment you could dive with. We had people there with twin tanks and Sea-Doo scooters as well as typical scuba rigs. Everyone had a great time. I'm looking forward to going back in July!!

Regards,
Ltstanfo

Mike_S,

For the time being, you have to go to the dive shop that has resevered the quarry for a particular weekend and pre-register. The process for last weekend went something like this:

1. Drive to SDI
2. Fill out quarry release form.
3. Sign SDI release form.
4. Pay CASH for day(s) of admittance to quarry (NO CHECK OR CREDIT CARDS).
5. Receive instructions on when and where to meet.
6. Show up at quarry on day of dive at specified time.
7. Check in with SDI instructor on site.
8. SCUBA DIVE!!!

Regards,
Ltstanfo

quarry_mermaid:
FYI... I'm under the impression that there will not be an operating compressor at the site, so make arrangements for tank fills elsewhere.

You impression is correct. There is not a compressor at the site at all. There are no plans for a compressor onsite for this year.

You can get tanks filled before the dive at SDI in Huntsville or Dive Sports in Decatur. Both about 20 minutes drive from the quarry. Both offer air and nitrox fills.

As Mike_S has already pointed out, there is no compressor on site...nor are there any other facilities save for a "porta-toilet" and a change shack. You should plan accordingly.

For the near future, the only way into the water will be via the old gravel road. All of the docks have either collapsed or are so low (below the grade) that the walk down the ramp is too steep to carry gear.

I really enjoyed diving there last weekend and want to encourage everyone to dive there when possible. The guys currently operating the quarry are working under a 6 month contract from the water board. We need to show support so they can get a new (and longer) contract!

Regards,
Ltstanfo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom