Madison Blue Martz Sink Snap and Gap gone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Went to Madison today for the first time since full cave. When we did full cave my instructor made a point to go to Martz to show me one of the last snap and gaps in the area. But today I dropped into Martz and the snap and gas was gone? When did that happen?

Went to Madison today for the first time since full cave. When we did full cave my instructor made a point to go to Martz to show me one of the last snap and gaps in the area. But today I dropped into Martz and the snap and gas was gone? When did that happen?
It’s been quite a few years. I think maybe around 4 but I rarely enter via Martz anymore and am horrible with associating a memory I with a time frame. But my brain tells me at least 3 years.
I’m interested to see how good my memory is.

It’s been quite a few years. I think maybe around 4 but I rarely enter via Martz anymore and am horrible with associating a memory I with a time frame. But my brain tells me at least 3 years.
I’m interested to see how good my memory is.

It was there at least Sept 2020, as that was when I completed full cave. Putting the snap back was the last thing I saw until I got back to the sign.

A blog post from 7/2019 on the old cavediving.com discussed it; but unfortunately, it's not in the Wayback Machine. I eagerly devoured page after page of that blog before my cave training, and it would be a shame if they're lost.

EDIT: that disagrees with your timeline, so perhaps that was a different site.

EDIT2: Found a copy, it was talking about the snap-n-gap at Hill 400.

I eagerly devoured page after page of that blog before my cave training, and it would be a shame if they're lost.

Same, and now I'm sad the blog is gone. There was a ton of great info there.

It was there at least Sept 2020, as that was when I completed full cave. Putting the snap back was the last thing I saw until I got back to the sign.
Then I would guess about 6 months to a year after your class. I wish they kept it just for posterity and so people who will never normally see one will get to see one. There was one in a popular cave in Mx, I think Pet Cemetery or one of the lines to Blue Abyss, but I never saw it before it got removed

Hill 400 was a snap & Gap at one time.

Folks, I have to ask: what is "snap and gap?"

A jump using a line that is permanently attached on one end and a bolt-snap on the other. While convenient when only a single team is present, the odds of not having a continuous line out are high when that is not the case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom