Madison Quarry - 2007 Open dates thread (and discussion)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
As many of you know, Madison Quarry opened for limited basis operatons about 2 weeks ago for a couple weekends a month. Though they are going to be open several more weekends for 2007 and the winter of 2008, they don't have a set schedule yet and the dates will be announced as they figure out when to they will do it.

Instead of busting out a new thread every time they open, to let everyone know... I thought I'd just start just one thread for it for folks to post announcements to.

If you want to plan a dive in this thread for an open weekend, you can do it here or open your own thread (your choice).

Note: There are some special rules as governed by the Water Board for use of the quarry. It's not "general admission". You must enter the facility with an instructor/shop that has an agreement to use the quarry for the weekend. They will open at 8am for entrance and close the gates. They will open again around lunchtime to let folks out for lunch and back in, and will open the gates again later in the day to let folks depart. These are waterboard rules. (not mine, but just a FYI)

BTW... water temps 2 weeks ago on the bottom were 84f. NICE and warm for a quarry. Vis was about 10' on the bottom and if you rose up a few feet off the bottom it was more like 20 to 30'

Hope this is helpfull to all.

EDIT:
There are also no facilities onsite (besides bathroom). So no rental gear, no tanks, no compressor or fill station, no dive shop, no snacks/food. Bring everything you need. I'd reccomend a sun tent also as it can get hot in there.

If you need rental gear, tanks or air fills, see Dive Sports or SDI Scuba. Each are within a 20 minute drive of the quarry and both are full service dive shops (open full time, have gear, full stocking, and have compressors).

As for the next open weekend, Madison will be open again on Sept 1st (saturday only) for those that want to dive.

see

Subject: Madison Quarry diving Sept. 1

Southeastern Divers will be taking anyone who wishes to dive the
Madison quarry out on Saturday September 1 from 8 am till 4 pm.

Stop by SDI before Saturday to sign up.

If you are coming from outside Madison County please call us at
256-536-8404 to make arrangements.

my biggest problem with going to Madison, ( other than the 1st when I won't get to dive at all) is that I don't own my own tanks.

skybird:
my biggest problem with going to Madison, ( other than the 1st when I won't get to dive at all) is that I don't own my own tanks.

somebody that's going can get you hooked up with some tanks.

SDI and Dive Sports both have them for rent also if you wanted to swing by.

Don't let that stop you from going. Your biggest concern about tanks will be do you want to dive 21%, 32% or 36%. :D

I would like to get there once this year. Maybe the weekends will work out later on.

THis isn't official yet, but SDI has quarry checkout dives scheduled for Septh 15th/16th. I'd bet that they'll arrange for Madison to be open that weekend. FYI.

Mike,
I just spoke with SDI (Greg) and they will be open the 25th and 16th. If you want to rent tanks from SDI (and Mike is not sharing that day), then you will have to pick up your tanks from SDI the night before for the Saturday dive. If you leave early enough on Saturday, you could get your tanks topped off at SDI for dives Sunday.
Howard

A couple of buddies and I plan on being at madison on Sept. 1st. I am hoping an instructor will be there so I can do a couple of the Advanced dives

philmottrek99and02:
Mike,
I just spoke with SDI (Greg) and they will be open the 25th and 16th. If you want to rent tanks from SDI (and Mike is not sharing that day), then you will have to pick up your tanks from SDI the night before for the Saturday dive. If you leave early enough on Saturday, you could get your tanks topped off at SDI for dives Sunday.
Howard

Is that the 25th of Sept or was that yesterday the 25th (August)? I guess yesterday since the 25th of Sept is mid week. Didn't know they were open yesterday.

I'm glad to help share tanks, but my "tank collection" has been whittled down. I've sold off most of it as the cost of hydro's, yearly VIS, and o2 cleaning was getting expensive considering that I never used most of them myself! :rofl3:

I've still got a "few" though :D

dford:
A couple of buddies and I plan on being at madison on Sept. 1st. I am hoping an instructor will be there so I can do a couple of the Advanced dives

You'd need to check with SDI to see what instructors they might have out there doing classes. I don't think they were going to be open Sunday the 2nd for example so they weren't going to have instructors doing Open Water for example. Call over there and see. I"m sure you can work something out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom