Madison Quarry in the news

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
Rocketman's been hanging out with Sammy too much... he's getting grouchy.
He just jealous because, unlike him, I still have all my teeth and can still bite something.

BTW, have you seen his AARP C-Card? :)
Luke (I better go duck to avoid the incoming rocket artillery)

ScubaLuke:
He just jealous because, unlike him, I still have all my teeth and can still bite something.

Luke (I better go duck to avoid the incoming rocket artillery)

At least I haven't run my truck into a pole...in broad day light...

mike_s:
Rocketman's been hanging out with Sammy too much... he's getting grouchy.

Who you calling grouchy bubble head?

RocketMan:
I hope it re-opens also. Since I drive right by it on the home from work, it would be so easy to get in an after work dive to relieve some stress.
Those after work dive and swimming days were really nice. You could go over there about 3:30 or 4:00 on a weekday and the visibility could be 25 or 30 feet.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and thinking happy thoughts that those days will be back again soon.
Luke

RocketMan:
At least I haven't run my truck into a pole...in broad day light...
That pole jumped right out in front of me in an effort to commit suicide.
Luke

ScubaLuke:

This will make you feel old. Michael J. Fox was on the cover of
the AARP Magazine this month. (no I'm not kidding).

Rocketman:
Who you calling grouchy bubble head?

I think you just answered that question on your own :)

ScubaLuke:
That pole jumped right out in front of me in an effort to commit suicide.
Luke

Don't you just hate it when they put those poles in the middle of the road??

poleplan.jpg

Anyone heard anything new about the Madison quarry? I live at the Space Center in Huntsville for the summer, and had no clue about the quarry last summer. The first thing I really heard about it was it closing, so it was kind of depressing. Myself, and several others Im sure, are really hoping it opens up. Just wondering what the word is down there. I havent heard anything new since this post.

utdivermatt:
Anyone heard anything new about the Madison quarry? I live at the Space Center in Huntsville for the summer, and had no clue about the quarry last summer. The first thing I really heard about it was it closing, so it was kind of depressing. Myself, and several others Im sure, are really hoping it opens up. Just wondering what the word is down there. I havent heard anything new since this post.

Here's what I posted in another thread a few days back about it's most recent status:

The past dive operator, Rock Divers, vacated the premise in fall 2005. Since then the city has traded the land to the water board for other land. The water board plans to use the quarry as an emergency water source instead of having to purchase water from the city of Huntsville.

So currently the property is not open for diving. However, the water board is "entertaining" the idea of allowing diving in the quarry. The city put out a RFP (Request for Proposal) for commercial vendors setting up recreational use of the quarry. After the land swap deal, they turned these proposals over to the water board for their consideration. Two companies bid for recreational scuba diving operations and a third company bid for a paintball operation, that could work in conjunction with a diving operation.

The water board president is retiring and he will leave the "decision" to the next president of the board. He retires March 23rd. Hopefully the new president will act on this quickly so that diving operations can open this summer. But right now there are no guarentees.

that's kinda where it stands....

Also, since this post I've learned that it's been mentioned to the new water board President (who started about March 23rd, a week ago.) I was told that when asked, he requested to "give him a couple weeks" (to get settled in with his new job) and that he would take a look at their options.

So at least it's not a "no" so far.

I guess thats much better than the alternative. Still, I am going to be kicking myself for years that a quarry like this was as close to where I was living for the summer. Especially with all I hear about that was in it.

quarrydiver68:
Any news on if it will be open this season or not?
I haven't heard anything in the last couple of weeks. The last I heard the new head of the water board was just settling into his job.

The rumors I've heard (and they're just rumors) is that the water board is in favor of having diving at the quarry. I have high hopes that it will open by this summer.

Of course Mike_s and RocketMan tell me I'm too gullible and I believe them.
Luke

Back
Top Bottom