Magic filters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divv:
dbh - are you referring to the Rand McMeins pic?
Yes, he took that shot on a trip we took to the Sea of Cortez in November.

Ron,
There is no doubt that you know more than me about filters (if you know anything...it is more than me). My take is that if other filters on the market did the same thing, I don't believe Alex would have wasted his time developing this filter. Each filter you refer to (and remember, these filters were made for topside) has a VERY limited range underwater. The magic filter is best from 0-50 feet, but can be used deeper. Also, traditional filters are not made for fisheye lenses which are taking over WA uw photography. I think Rand winning BOS using one speaks for itself. Have you ever seen any top underwater shots (stills) using any other filters? I will use mine on my Sigma 15mm in Indonesia next month (hopefully on my D200) and give you some "first hand" feedback.

Dave

I think MHO falls somewhere between Warren and Dave's.

Like many things, these filters have their place. Used as directed, they do a wonderful job. Are they better than other filters? I dunno, I never tried another underwater but I assume they are developed especially the specific colors that are subtracted by water at the shallow depths they are recommended for. Over priced? I dunno, I think all gel filters are overpriced for the material involved but I have never manufactured, promoted, or distributed filters so I wouldn't know the costs involved. Since the UW market is so much smaller than the topside one, and this is the only filter that this two-man company is selling, it makes sense that they would cost more. OTOH, there are no middlemen taking some of the profit so again, I dunno. I guess the question is, "are they worth it to you?"

I tried them because I thought it was faster and cheaper to rely on Alex's expertise - he is a very good uw photographer - than to buy several shades from B&H and do my own testing. I have no regrets paying what I paid.

BTW, I think they do a good job but I haven't used them too much here because we don't have the colorful soft corals that I would like to catch. But for what I have shot with them, they work as advertized. Once installed, it's there for the dive so you have to know where you are going and what to expect. I plan to give it a good full dive or two in Malaysia in a couple months.

While I think Rand's award winning shot was great and deserved to take the BOS, I think he would have won it without the filter attached. I think he could have pulled those colors out without it. It is his keen eye for composition that made that shot. Like Hawaii, the Sea of Cortez isn't that colorful either.

Funny man, Ron !:05:
As Mike says, once on they are there for the dive which may be a pain...
Oh, well, since I need a strobe anyway, I'll probably go that route for now (BTW, has NO-ONE got any input on my other post, in Tips&T, regarding COmbining strobes????)
Thanks for all the input everyone...
Di

I am no expert on filters. I have seen stunning results on trips with other folks using the filters and it hooked me. It would be great if someone would do a head to head but these are cut to dimension, known to work and a lot less then +$150 for a URCY Pro glass filter, which I also own.

After reading THIS:

http://www.magic-filters.com/download/UWP26a.pdf

I finally got what I was looking for in the way of explaination of what is behind these things.

Cost appears to be based on a very small operation with limited demand, so that explains why they are a lot more expensive vs. the Kodak Wratten filters.

Can other filters do what these do... the short answer is yes, and no. Yes if you are willing to spend the $$ on glass filters AND you have a way to attach the fileters to the front of a lens. No if you need a gel filter as these filters are a combination of red/orange that I don't think Kodak makes, however I'm betting one could get close.

So maybe I was a bit too quick to judge these things.

MIke, hope you can teach me to do that! I have one but have never whipped it out for the reasons you stated. I am blown away that you can use it with a strobe.

Is Alex a physicist? I cannot remember, but I got the feeling something inspired him on this product. have you been able to figure out what it's unique properties are?

NOt really sure the unique properties... he won't tell me! :D

Alex did a lot of different tests with different colours and mixin and matchin..

He is a marine biologist actually....

divv:
Hi all. I'm brand new to this board.
I was wondering, has anyone here tried out the Magic Filters mentioned in the UWPMag?
They seem like a good idea but hugely overpriced for a few bits of plastic?
Cheers
Di

I haven't tried the 'Magic' filters, but they appear to be a budget version of the very well respected UR Pro filters. I have used those to great effect.

But if you can control your white balance, you may not need a filter at all. Just balance on a white slate at the required depth and hey presto! very natural (to the terrestrial human eye) colors - and no loss of light (UR Pro state a loss of just over an F Stop with their filters).

Yes Mike sort of true....

But.... adding the filter helps out quite a bit especially below 10 feet. if you don't add that red back in you are really pushing the limits of the camera and you will find the resulting image really starts to degrade and gains lots of noise. By adding the filter you help the camera out and retain image quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom