Main Players in Manufacturing of Spearfishing Equipment (Spearguns)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think its personal preference and where/how theyre fishing. I've seen scuba and free divers with both. I prefer wood, its not as noisy as metal.

1. Visibility: 30 - 60 feet on average

2. Occasions for big fish but whatever they find close to shore.

3. Size of fish 2 - 15 kg (guesstimate)

My question isn't about exactly what size gun but what brand is appropriate given the circumstances of $$$$ (primary) and the rest of the circumstances in Libya. Basically, of all of the brands you mention, which one should I become a dealer/distributor for in Libya that would satisfy the needs of the local spearfishermen. Is JBL a good quality that won't embarrass me in terms of reliability and performance?

I'm not sure about other manufacturers but Riffe has a couple dealers here in Belize. One is a fishing gear store (Hook and Tackle) in Belize City and another is a guy who owns and manages a resort here. I would guess Riffe would be willing to set you up. The fishing shop carries bands, shooting line, reels and line and some gun models.
Another guy sells some JBLs out of a small paint store...so he calls it but you can find damn near anything in that store. :D

But it seems like a slow business. I mean, nowadays you can get anything online. I can get straight from Riffe as cheap or cheaper than I can buy from dealers here. I have a couple Riffes (C3X and a Baja Plus). Nice guns but my go to gun is a Wong 55 GR hybrid.

I have become a small time "Spear Shop" out of my back door here. LOTS of guys have guns but know nothing of making bands, rigging shooting line, straightening shafts etc etc. I would be losing money if it was a business. But it's fun and I meet other spearos.

Where I intend to sell spearguns, people don't have access to online shopping from the US. Most don't have credit cards and shipping would be so high from the US for single gun and/or accessories. Also, the spearos in Libya aren't that sophisticated about guns. My understanding from my recent surveys, most people there use guns in 80 - 90 cm in length. We don't hear of anyone using anything bigger than a 100cm gun. No "blue water" hunting either.

Most people can handle $125 - $250 priced guns but not much more than that.

Access to "accessories" and spare parts is a big problem in Libya. The dominant brand now is Mares and thus I'll have to compete with that.

One more important fact, this isn't going to be my sole business. I am actually setting up scuba training organization and I'll be adding the spearfishing part since the greater majority of divers there are free divers who are into spearfishing. Most people can't afford to learn scuba and/or buy scuba equipment. I am trying to establish rapport with the spearos to eventually "coax" them into scuba.

Based on the feedback I am getting here, Riffe and JBL are the way to go it would seem. Correct me if I am wrong please, Riffe is more expensive but higher quality. JBL is good and less expensive. Is this accurate? Also, how would AB Biller compare?

Last edited:
Yea, riffe are top notch guns, high quality, built to last, but you're paying for it. AB Biller is, IMO, almost on par with riffe. JBL is great quality at an affordable price.

$250 isn't enough for a Riffe. And that's without duty.
JBL is more in the price range but the wood guns are a bit more.
There is a guy up in Louisiana who swears by JBL and he shoots some BIG fish on the oil rigs.
Also, the length of the stock doesn't tell the whole story as far as the range of the gun. A 55 inch stock on a Wong GR Hybrid has the same band stretch as the 65 inch Riffe Baja Plus. Band stretch is pretty much directly correlated to power. The JBLs are set up more like Riffe in that regard.

JBL Woody Magnum 38-Special Speargun #6W38

i believe that omer may be your best bet. The reason being is that they have the cayman sport guns for under $200 retail... thats what i sell in my shop... I sell omer at my shop and i have had new customers come to my shop just for the omer guns that woulndt have come otherwise.... This will also open the doors for you to get some good long blade fins, floats, neoprene socks and some open cell wetsuits and a bunch of cool accessorie gear. Its everything you need all-in-one and an awesome customer service!

i believe that omer may be your best bet. The reason being is that they have the cayman sport guns for under $200 retail... thats what i sell in my shop... I sell omer at my shop and i have had new customers come to my shop just for the omer guns that woulndt have come otherwise.... This will also open the doors for you to get some good long blade fins, floats, neoprene socks and some open cell wetsuits and a bunch of cool accessorie gear. Its everything you need all-in-one and an awesome customer service!

That sounds pretty good, thanks. Do you have experience with their other company, SPORA Sub? Is SPORA Sub product any different (better, worse) from OMER?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom