Make money retrieving lost items?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok where i'm from if you get payed for retreaving things. Thats considered commercial diving. and here if you do commercial diving you have to follow the goverments regulations for commercial diving. so it's to much of a hassel. your better off keeping your diving for fun. because once you have to dive it's not fun any longer. :yellow:

Commercial diving used to be very dangerous but with the push for better standards, training and operating procedures it has gotten much better.

The Association of Diving Contractors (ADC) has been a big player in improving the industry;
http://www.adc-usa.org
By working to keep the guy with just a sport scuba cert card from taking on commercial work they are reducing the injury/death rate and making it easier to get the money required to do the jobs safely.
Safety requires planning, training, equipment and execution, all of which cost money.

Remember, no pays you to dive. They pay you to weld, dredge, jet, plug, unplug, inspect, assemble, disassemble, repair, move, recover or other. Diving is how you get to the work site and how you stay alive while you work.

It is a good job if you don't mind hard work in dirty places.

michael

One idea is a metal detector. Especially if you are near a popular beach or lake. They are pricey, but you can find some cool and valuable stuff. Always try to find the owner though. Engagement rings normally have sentimental value...hence, a reward!

I have the info for them at work so I will do some research for you if you are interested. I'll get back with you tomorrow, or you can email me at work to remind me. Email is <sales@mdaguam.com>.

Good suggestion ScubaBunny.
You can find lots of interesting and valuable things with a metal detector and one of the most productive areas is the surf zone off of a popular beach.

One good source of info is the book, "Treasure Recovery from Sand and Sea" by Charles Garrett,
ISBN0-915920-70-0.
Annother source of both information and equipment is Kellyco Metal Detector Super Store,
http://www.kellycodetectors.com

Check the local laws as there may be limitations or slavage leases that prevent you from detecting in certain areas or at certain times.

Metal detecting is also fun for equipment junkies as there are lots of cool toys to play with. :)

michael

I was a commercial oilfield diver for 10 years & loved every minute; I'd still be there now but for the want of a life beyond the deepsea, you see, "the life" demands your all...if your not willing to give it don't even consider it.

With a good attitude & your bags always packed & by the door you will get:
* a reasonable living. There is some big money out there but it goes to the top 20% in the field; the average diver will make 70k-100k in a good year.
* travel...you gotta go where the work is or you don't.
* Great adventures...commercial divers remain some of the most interesting characters around & the camraderie is second to none.
*the ultimate in "Tech. diving"...forget multiple bottles & redundant regs., you are now a hard-hat diver, that means surface-supplied gases, saturation complexes & remotely operated vehicles to name but a few. And there is depth, very ,very big depth for those who pursue it.

What you won't get:
* a stable marriage
* any semblance of a "normal" social life
* land legs
* statuatory holidays off
* a pension
* bored

You could be an inshore diver, but that ain't "the life".Its more like a regular construction job except you do it underwater. Not to say these guys aren't good, au contraire'...they can take their construction skills & apply them anywhere in any type of diving job. Never forget, you are paid for what you can do, not because you know how to get there.

Go to http://www.offshorediver.com & read & ask your question.
The best of luck to you, mate!

D.S.D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom