Making a new dive flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Sutton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Seems most of the flags i have had over the years have been too short, to heavey, dont sit right in the water, hard to see at a distance.

Been working on a new one.. So far i have a nice fiberglass rod from the hardware store, its six feet tall and has reflective band about 6" near top ( driveway marker )
Melted tow holes at top for flag, drilled 1/4 hole in 2 lb deep sea sinker and drill thru with brass pin and peaned over on both ends, hold tight. has the ring facing down, Then dipped in rubber to coat.

Have a heavey duty 16" innertube , made a strap with gromets to teather to tube to pull flag from tube not the wieght so flag will stay upright, have 2' of rod underwater and 4' above, good balance, got to go to dive shop to find right size flag or just make one.

Had flag in my pool and seems real stable. still got more work to to have ready for ocean this weekend.

Ok ,, got a 16 X 14 flag, popped a couple of groments on bottom edge to hold lobsta numbers, used slide in clip pins to hold flag on and to keep the rod from sliding up and down thru gromets, so now the hole thing is colapseable, i can break it down with no trubble by just pulling out the two pins to change tube or anything else or to just store it. i can still add more wieght to the bottom if i need more counter balance. it stays strieght up when towed now, and is still very lite

interesting :) got any pictures ? would also be interested in how much the total setup cost is vs commercial ones... I gues you can't beat these, but at least you are really different :D
you should post this in the Do-it-yourself subforum ;o)

That's quite a float.

I'll be interested to hear how much of a force it is when there is wind and wave action up above.

Pete

A member on here made a huge dive flag a while back cause he dives in shipping channels, if I remember correctly. You might do a search and look for it for some ideas, it was very impressive.

Could turn out to be a sail for you...nothing like moving through the water when there is no current and you aren't being pulled by a scooter haha

I hope these pics go thru.

pole was 4.99
tube 5.99
gromet kit 9.00
flag 14.00
miso strops and pins 5.00
brass clips and swivels 8.00

The reason for the size of the flag was so it wont act as a sail LOL,the pole is a 1/4 round and very lite but strong,

i also have more hole in the pole to lower the pole if it become to top heavey

Attachments

• DSCN0172.jpg
    DSCN0172.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN0171.jpg
    DSCN0171.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Looks very sturdy and very visible.
I wonder if you could find a red inter-tube to be more visible just in case the flag falls.

I am not familiar with the numbers that you are hanging below the flag, and I assume they are for lobsters from your previous post.

Are all divers that lobster dive required to have their numbers displayed on a float or flag for your area?

Yes the numbers are for lobstering, i think i am going wrap the tube with red matieral or paint it,

Back
Top Bottom