Making scuba a real "sport"???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Ed:
Isn't this what the ISOSAD: AND UGLY is for? :D
Works for me, and I even have Battleship pre-tested and ready to be played. (I want to play it before I post the writeup on the HowTo thread.) :biggrin:
Doc Ed:
Or geocaching with GPS?
Woo-hoo! I've done that too! :D

Chazzjoh:
of course, to be a real sport we'd need cheerleaders....
Cool! Then we'll finally be a *real* sport, just like baseball! And cricket! And soccer (whatever it's called)! And tennis! And golf!

Um... I think it's past my bedtime. :biggrin:

(Or, if it's a European-style sport, we just have to have all the fans singing the whole time.)

Rainer:
$4000 scooters isn't a cash outlay? ...
Wouldn't even put tires on some race cars. :)

When we want to talk about a competitive recreational activity we already have the word "game". After all, we have "The Olympic Games", not "The Olympic Sports". The word "sport" comes from the verb "to disport oneself", which suggests merry-making, enjoyment, a pursuit far removed from the world of winner-takes-all competitiveness. Let's try and return the word "sport" to its original meaning of simple, shared enjoyment where the participants don't need a competitive edge to justify what they do. For those who can't bear to forego any opportunity to prove themselves better than their peers, even in their leisure pursuits, there's always the word "game" or, if you insist, "competitive sport".

ClayJar:
Cool! Then we'll finally be a *real* sport, just like baseball! And cricket! And soccer (whatever it's called)! And tennis! And golf!

Um... I think it's past my bedtime. :biggrin:

(Or, if it's a European-style sport, we just have to have all the fans singing the whole time.)

Well, maybe I should have added that for my personal criteria a "sport" needs cheerleaders and/or bodily contact (during normal course of play... not during fights.)

Hockey = sport
Soccer (or Football if that's what you call it) = sport
Golf = game (they don't even carry their own bags)
Tennis = game (love listening to women's tennis)
Baseball = game (just because they try to run each other over sometimes doesn't mean it's part of the game)

Maybe I missed this stated somplace else... It seems to me the lure of sports (defined here by some as competitive sports) is the ability to show off who has the biggest manhood in front of a crowd of people or on TV. This seems to be rather hard to do most scuba situations.

It also seems with the increase in competition and the number of fans in a sport, there is a decrease in the actual number of people doing the sport. I mean, of the 10s of millions of American football fans, how many actually play the sport after graduating from school?

GrumpyOldGuy:
... of the 10s of millions of American football fans, how many actually play the sport after graduating from school?
How many actually played in school? And how many who played in school actually graduated?:D

GrumpyOldGuy:
Maybe I missed this stated somplace else... It seems to me the lure of sports (defined here by some as competitive sports) is the ability to show off who has the biggest manhood in front of a crowd of people or on TV. This seems to be rather hard to do most scuba situations.

It also seems with the increase in competition and the number of fans in a sport, there is a decrease in the actual number of people doing the sport. I mean, of the 10s of millions of American football fans, how many actually play the sport after graduating from school?

Huh?:confused:

If this theory is correct, then a) there would be no women playing sports and b) no one playing sports at all unless there is a TV camera or at least a large crowd present.

I play tennis and golf because they are fun, but it is competition that makes them fun...that's why more people go to the course and not to the driving range. That's why people hit tennis balls against other people and not against a wall.

How easy is it to get 21 other guys and play football like we did in high school. In general, team sports don't carry well into adulthood because of logistics. Organizing even a simple softball league is harder than getting a foursome in golf.

Some here think that scuba "sports" would denigrate "true" diving. I say no... the existence of skiing competitions doesn't affect a skiierwho just does it alone for fun.

EXCEPT, of course, that the money drawn in by sport skiing means more research into the sport, which means better equipment for the "fun" skiier, probably more and better slopes too.

I am sure that the wide availability of, say, skateboarding facilities or snowboarding facilities has NOTHING to do at ALL with these activities are now being widely televised as competitive events. I am sure that the wide availability of superb golf courses has NOTHING to do with the popularity of televised golf contests. Of course, this is nonsense. Before skateboarding became competitive, the boards were crappy and you got to ride them on the sidewalk. Wow.

If scuba became like skateboarding, with a massive influx of interest and cash leading to more and better dive facilities and better equipment, what's wrong with that?

This is not a question of morality (are sports a good thing, is America too competitive?), it's a matter of reality --- when a recreational activity becomes a popular televised sport, the subsequent benefits for even the "recreational" enthusiast are enormous. If golf were just about the joy of hitting the ball, not about beating the stuffing out of someone else, we would still be using niblicks.

I had some uncertified buddies do a "resort class" in the Keys. They said I'd be much better than them, so not to expect much. I had much more experience obviously. However, I told them the "winner" in diving is the guy having the most fun. They won that day, on their first ocean dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom