Mako shark caught in UK waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.divernet.com/biolog/0503mako.shtml

makes for interesting reading on the topic. Interestingly one of the birtish tabloids claimed last year in a great white spotted off cornwall story that the spotter in question must be up on sharks as she had also spotted a mako that day from the same cliff. Spotting the rarest pelagic british shark and one unknown from uk waters from the top of a cliff several hundred metres away all in one day. She must have been a remakable witness

Barracudas are really a different category than sharks, and in some respects I would be more wary of a big single barracuda than many species of shark, because of their good vision and amazing attack speeds. I've seen what they can do to local fishermen and it's not pretty.

THat said they have no natural craving for human flesh, the attacks are supposedly due to misplaced identity - often connected with fishing since the water will often be full of the wrong elements: Jerky movements, turbid, bloody or "chummy" conditions - especially with nets or tuna fishing in big schools.

Other than that they respond to high contrast and shiny items so I guess the key is to take care if spearhunting and not hang around barracudas in a mackerel costume or with a rack of flashy dive knives.

Santa

Funny whenever I have seen barracuda they have been so uninterested in me it was insulting! I've yet to see one display any speed above a leisurely tail flick to move away from me when I got within 6 feet. Perhaps they just know their abilities!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom