Mako vs Great White......

Discussion in 'Hawai'i' started by scottitheduck, Jan 17, 2012.

1. scottitheduck

scottitheduck Scuba Instructor

# of Dives:
  2. smellzlikefish

smellzlikefish Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The shape of the dorsal fin, attack strategy (lunging), swimming style, prey (marlin) and slender nose make me think it was probably a big mako.

3. santy2506

santy2506 Scuba Instructor

from reading the subject, I thought this was gonna be a fight between the two...now that would have been a good video.

4. santy2506

Did you see the story that quoted the Shark Lab leader at HIMB as saying it was in fact a great white?

5. scottitheduck

# of Dives:
    @ Santy..... I did. But it's always fun to debate. My thought was Mako too..... at the 2 min mark it makes a pass at the prop. Really looks like a mako in those frames.

I'm 6000 dives (or so) into diving Oahu. Still yet to see a big boy, maybe I need to fish more.

G

6. santy2506

Could be either one...but regardless, it's still a big shark...which would be awesome to see.

Gabe, in those 6000+ dives, how many are more than 5 miles off shore...where the white sharks usually stay?

7. smellzlikefish

smellzlikefish Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I've got maybe 100+ dives 5-40 miles offshore and no white sharks yet. Still trying...

8. scottitheduck

# of Dives:
    @ Santy..... point taken. Think we need to get an Oahu Shark Squad together...... which reminds me, anyone want to go to Guadalupe with me this Oct?

9. santy2506

Chances increase if you accidentally cut one of your dive buddies. Just sayin. Haha.

10. scubahawk27

scubahawk27 Divemaster

# of Dives:
    Great White at Molokini.jpg Fish ID? This Great White was spotted at Molokini this weekend?

11. drbill

drbill The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

# of Dives:
    No time to watch the video (I'm at work) but as for prey, great whites here off SoCal are known to take giant sea bass (weight ranges up to 600-800 pounds). Local fishermen off Catalina have documented thisd at least twice and I've observed and filmed giant sea bass with huge oval scars on their dorsal side and flanks that suggest an attack by a very large shark. Of course makos up to about 14 ft have been reported in our nearshore waters.

12. VooDooGasMan

VooDooGasMan Loggerhead Turtle

13. scottitheduck

# of Dives:
    Yassir..... we were talking about the Molokini sighting just yesterday AM. Anymore details?

G

14. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Guaranteed Great White Scott at Molokini. I am hoping somebody can ID this shark I have some emails sent off.