• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Mako vs Great White......

Discussion in 'Hawai'i' started by scottitheduck, Jan 17, 2012.

1. scottitheduck

scottitheduck Dive Charter

# of Dives:
  2. smellzlikefish

smellzlikefish Marine Scientist

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The shape of the dorsal fin, attack strategy (lunging), swimming style, prey (marlin) and slender nose make me think it was probably a big mako.

3. santy2506

santy2506 Marine Scientist

from reading the subject, I thought this was gonna be a fight between the two...now that would have been a good video.

4. santy2506

Did you see the story that quoted the Shark Lab leader at HIMB as saying it was in fact a great white?

5. scottitheduck

# of Dives:
    @ Santy..... I did. But it's always fun to debate. My thought was Mako too..... at the 2 min mark it makes a pass at the prop. Really looks like a mako in those frames.

I'm 6000 dives (or so) into diving Oahu. Still yet to see a big boy, maybe I need to fish more.

G

6. santy2506

Could be either one...but regardless, it's still a big shark...which would be awesome to see.

Gabe, in those 6000+ dives, how many are more than 5 miles off shore...where the white sharks usually stay?

7. smellzlikefish

smellzlikefish Marine Scientist

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I've got maybe 100+ dives 5-40 miles offshore and no white sharks yet. Still trying...

8. scottitheduck

# of Dives:
    @ Santy..... point taken. Think we need to get an Oahu Shark Squad together...... which reminds me, anyone want to go to Guadalupe with me this Oct?

9. santy2506

Chances increase if you accidentally cut one of your dive buddies. Just sayin. Haha.

10. scubahawk27

scubahawk27 Divemaster

# of Dives:
    Great White at Molokini.jpg Fish ID? This Great White was spotted at Molokini this weekend?