Malapascua - way to donate a $ or two

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which is why I SAID to research how much of any dollar given really reaches the people who need it. I am still mad at the Red Cross. I gave money for a certain disaster help, only to learn later that they used a lot of that money to pay for a fancy new phone system. NOT what I gave it for. BUT, small unlicensed charities have no control on what they do with funds.
We had donated some money to Malapascua.
How could I find out where the money ACTUALLY spend? Do you think I should employ an auditor on the fund?
So what is your suggestion in this case?
You are being cynical and not very helpful so far.

Maybe they need a fancy new phone system to efficiently deal with all the phone calls they get around times of a disaster or to keep all the people connected that they have out in the field in areas where communication is down.

There is a huge amount of logistics involved and this needs to be funded some how, perhaps your donation allowed for a quicker system to be used thus channeling money from other peoples donations to the disaster areas faster than previous times.

Hi Allison, my people in St. Bernard Parish, LA would agree with you about the Red Cross not being of much help after Katrina. They found the small grass roots outfits to be way more helpful in their time of need.

In terms of Malapascua this is a tiny island with a small tight community. Thresher Shark Divers are one of the pioneering dive outfits which put Mala on the map. I trust them to do the right thing with the money.

You are absolutely right to be cautious about scammers on the internet, but the situation in Malapascua is a special case. They are remote and isolated and might not be a top priority for the major aid agencies or Philippine government which has its hands full.

Back
Top Bottom