Malaysia arrests Chinese fishermen for poaching turtles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They won't have the money and the boat will be worthless so a 5 year jail sentence is the best we can hope for.
Lets hope Malaysia takes out full page ads in all the papers sold in China's ports on the sentence. Maybe that will make others think twice.
What happens outside Malaysia's costal waters though.
We need to find a way to stop the fishing for turtles in international waters as well.

nothing to really stop or prevent them entering the waters anyway....

The poachers will be spending the next 18 months in jail !!! Their boats have been confiscated and will probably be sunk to create artificial reefs. They were fined a total of MYR 1.5 million which they could not pay and so they will do time.

I am sure that their fellow fisherman/poachers from wherever they are from - Hainan Island will hear of this.

I agree that Malaysia is doing a good thing jailing these poachers but they should also do something about the dried sea-horses I've seen being sold in airports there...

From Hainan Island, eh? What do those of you in the region think about boycotting the dive industry on Hainan? Not sure how many foreign nationals (vs Chinese nationals) go there to dive anyway. Would economic pressure from other countries in the region send a message to those in Hainan, and force them to put pressure on these illegal poachers? Of course such an approach hurts those who were not at fault for the poaching.

At least they got 18 months. I wish they'd do the same to our own poachers here in SoCal.

Hainan is really not a major dive destination for foreigners... I rarely hear of it even within Hong Kong...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom