Malaysia in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howya - another Paddy here but writing from Sabah.

Perhentians are not bad and might be a good idea for a little refresher. However if my travels in Malaysia are anything to go by I would suggest hightailing it out of the Peninsula to Sabah as soon as poss.

There is loads to do here - climbing the highest mountains in Malaysia, trekking in the jungles, visiting the orangutan sanctuary as well as spotting all sorts of weird creatures in the wild and of course lots of world class diving: Sipadan and Layang Layang being to two big names. You won't regret maximising your time in Sabah.

If you fly into Kota Kinabalu (where I live) you can always do a few dives off the coast here to ready yourself for Sipadan. The conditions in Sipadan are rarely that tough - but because of the huge drop-off they like to think everyone is capable of controlling their buoyancy. Check out some Sipadan dive site descriptions

As for the permits for diving in Sipadan yes you really should book ahead otherwise there is no guarantee that you will get to dive Sipadan itself. There is no hard and fast rule about when to book ahead but at least a few weeks is advisable.

Options: Sabah Dive Resorts

Good luck

OnTheSpot:
Howya - another Paddy here but writing from Sabah.

Perhentians are not bad and might be a good idea for a little refresher. However if my travels in Malaysia are anything to go by I would suggest hightailing it out of the Peninsula to Sabah as soon as poss.

There is loads to do here - climbing the highest mountains in Malaysia, trekking in the jungles, visiting the orangutan sanctuary as well as spotting all sorts of weird creatures in the wild and of course lots of world class diving: Sipadan and Layang Layang being to two big names. You won't regret maximising your time in Sabah.

Have you dove Layang Layang? I know it is only open during a few months out of the year.....If you have any info to share I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Scott

hello
we will be at flora bay from the 18th of july diving for 2 weeks, its a really nice place and the people at the dive shop and the resort are all really nice.

they have a wide variety of rooms from the small (cheap) basic ones in the longhouse (we will be in there then LOL) to bigass fanct 2 room AC bungalows...all depend on your budget.

hopefully see you there....

OnTheSpot - Thanks for the tips on Sabah. We will try our best to see as much of it as we can. Really looking forward to it now.

Bubblemonkey - You neve rknow we might bumped into each other at Flora Bay. We haven't fully decided on our dates yet, but we will be defo heading to Flora Bay for a few days in July.

Anyone has any idea how the diving permits for Sipadan are allocated? Is it on a first come first serve basis, i.e. the earlier you apply the better?

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom