Malaysia, Sabah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boxer

Reaction score
Could anyone tell a good and affordable operator information for such places as Lankayan, Turtle Islands, Sipadan/Mabul/Kaplai and where would you recomend to go for diving as for day trip bases while hunging around Kota Kinabalu?

I´m going to Sabah in mid Feb/05 and I have Globetrotters Dive Guide Malaysia by Jack Jackson but I still would like to have more information please.

There is only one operator in Lankayan.

In terms of Sipadan/Mabul/Kapalai there are many to choose from.

As you probably know by now, all these places are very very far from Kota Kinabalu.

From KK you definately can day trip to island like Mamutik, Manukan...

Jack Jacksons book probably did not mention other places like:

Mataking (only one operator)
Mantanani (only one operator)

davidlkh:
There is only one operator in Lankayan.

In terms of Sipadan/Mabul/Kapalai there are many to choose from.

As you probably know by now, all these places are very very far from Kota Kinabalu.

From KK you definately can day trip to island like Mamutik, Manukan...

Jack Jacksons book probably did not mention other places like:

Mataking (only one operator)
Mantanani (only one operator)
You are quite right. And while I was surffing in the web I found the Mantanani. And placed an req. and the offer was pretty good. But have you yourself been to Mantanani. What can you expect what comes to the diving - is it macro like or Manta thing - or what? And what´s it like in Mataking ?:crafty:

boxer:
Could anyone tell a good and affordable operator information for such places as Lankayan, Turtle Islands, Sipadan/Mabul/Kaplai and where would you recomend to go for diving as for day trip bases while hunging around Kota Kinabalu?

I've been to Lankayan and Mabul (SMART divers). Preferred Mabul since it's more varied with the combination of spots around Mabul itself, Kapalai and Sipadan. Critter diving around Mabul/Kapalai was fantastic; Lankayan was nice but not so special. These operators are all quite upmarket, no idea where to get a good deal.

From KK I think you can also do day trips to Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park?

I stayed at Sipadan Water Village on Mabul but I think it's kinda an upscale resort. Which offers the cheapest rates from among the three resorts on Mabul do you guys think.

Has any of you done the combination of the Sipadan/Kaplai/Mabul + went to Sangalaki(Was it like like heaven of the Mantas like they claim?). How have you done that - w. boat from Tawau - how was it ?

Borneo Divers without a doubt.

They took excellent care of me.

boxer:

I´m going to Sabah in mid Feb/05 and I have Globetrotters Dive Guide Malaysia by Jack Jackson but I still would like to have more information please.

If you are a hardcore diver, try a liveaboard. They offer unlimitde diving. If you want amenities, then you will have to go with the rest and opt for one of the resorts mentioned in the earlier post. Do a search on "Scuba Diving in Malaysia" for all the information you require. After all it is world class diving - comes with world class prices :wink: Rest be assured all operators in the Sipadan, Mabul, Mataking area are professionally operated. As a guest, all you need to do is to don your wet suit. Everything else will be taken care of by the crew. You just need to tell them where and when. Happy diving.

Back
Top Bottom