Question Maldives Liveaboard Back-to-Back OR Liveaboard & Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cisco_Pug

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband and I are looking at doing the Maldives Aggressor II in July 2026. In looking at the length/cost of trip to get there, we definitely want to stay longer than a week so we make the most of the trip. So, we are looking for advice on how best to maximize the trip. Would booking a back-to-back trip on the Aggressor be the best idea? Or, do we do a week at a resort and a week on the Aggressor? If the latter option, what resorts would you recommend? We are not super picky about what a resort has or doesn't have, but definitely prefer one with good food and good drinks. If we went with the resort/liveaboard option, we would probably do the resort first and would be fine with a place that offers 2-tank dives/day since we would have much more diving the following week on the liveaboard. Also, we're not set on the Aggressor if there are better options for liveaboards - I've been looking at Carpe Diem, Scubaspa, and Emperor Explorer as well. Any thoughts on best of these? Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

I flew Singapore airlines and spent three days there before going on to the Maldives. If you haven't been highly recommend it. Stayed at the Marina Bay Sands it was great ,wonderful harbor views and the roof pool is amazing. The resort I stayed at in. the Maldives had great local reef diving as well as many other amenities a great way to relax after a week on a live aboard. The resorts can get quite expensive. We were at a ridiculous one the motto was ,anything anywhere anytime but their sister resort looked lovely and its where the dive center is. If your interested shoot me a pm and ill give you. the name

Another option, if you're open to something other than diving, is Sri Lanka, which is only an inexpensive 90 minute flight away from Male. My wife and I are doing that in combination with a Maldives liveaboard in a few weeks. I've never been to either before, but Sri Lanka is famous for its safaris and has some interesting looking historical sites.

Otherwise, I'd probably go with a longer liveaboard (10 day vs 7 day) and go land-based for the rest, just to mix it up.

Keep in mind that when doing a back to back LOB, you will have 2 days off without diving in between: the last day of the first leg, so that the ones who leave will have enough time to deal with their no-flight-time and the first day of the second leg, when the new guests arrive.
So, if you really want to do a 2 weeks LOB, i would chose 1 tour lasting that long.
Answering the question resort then LOB or LOB then resort is not that easy... Very roughly: Resort-LOB gives you time to acclimate and fresh up your diving skills, LOB-Resort gives you time to unwind after one week of intense diving.

Also: check the Indonesia forum for how Aggressor (and Liveaboard.com) handles problems. (I'm not implying Aggressor Maldives will be a problem, just saying be cautious)

Maldives has some great diving - but the resorts are very expensive and staying at a local island there's no alcohol (still worth it in the places we've visited).

I think July may be peak season for surfing in Maldives due to large swells. Do take motion sickness precautions if required. Alternatively go surfing instead?

My husband and I are looking at doing the Maldives Aggressor II in July 2026. In looking at the length/cost of trip to get there, we definitely want to stay longer than a week so we make the most of the trip. So, we are looking for advice on how best to maximize the trip. Would booking a back-to-back trip on the Aggressor be the best idea? Or, do we do a week at a resort and a week on the Aggressor? If the latter option, what resorts would you recommend? We are not super picky about what a resort has or doesn't have, but definitely prefer one with good food and good drinks. If we went with the resort/liveaboard option, we would probably do the resort first and would be fine with a place that offers 2-tank dives/day since we would have much more diving the following week on the liveaboard. Also, we're not set on the Aggressor if there are better options for liveaboards - I've been looking at Carpe Diem, Scubaspa, and Emperor Explorer as well. Any thoughts on best of these? Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Would definitely recommend scuba spa. It's a really well run operation - easy pickup from MLE airport, and the food, dives, staff were all fabulous. The drinks on board are reasonably priced as well if you like to imbibe. I also loved the aesthetic, its quite beautiful and luxurious for a liveaboard. The cleaning staff was also super on top of things - always fresh towels in your bathroom as youll be in and out of the water a lot and will need fresh ones often.

Looking in to a similar 2 week liveaboard / resort break for myself and wife as a late honeymoon,,, so monitoring this thread,,, I will say that if you want manta and whale sharks peak season is winter..

Looking in to a similar 2 week liveaboard / resort break for myself and wife as a late honeymoon,,, so monitoring this thread,,, I will say that if you want manta and whale sharks peak season is winter..
I am a teacher, so my times to visit are limited, at least for the next 9 years until it retire. 😊

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom