Maldives newbie in great need of advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcaqua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear all,

Very sorry to post yet another request for suggestions, but I am a Maldives newbie and am looking for a good option for diving in the Maldives with my family, all experienced divers (160 dives plus).

We have dived mostly in the Sinai (Sharm, Marsa Alam, Dahab, Wadi Lahmy), Indonesia (Bali, Komodo) , Thailand (Khao Lak) and been on a few liveaboards. We would like to be in a 3 to 4 star resort type of accommodation and do a lot of land-based diving, hoping to see the big pelagics , but also good coral and smaller stuff if possible.

I have read many of the earlier posts and it appears a good idea to be as far as possible away from Male, North or South. Where should we go?

We are flexible on the period, so are interested in hearing what is best in terms of climate, viz. and presence of marine life.

I am not keen on seeing the fish fed, I prefer not to see them in their natural environment rather than spoon-fed by local operators...

Finally, as for everyone else, a professional dive center is key (we only lug part of our equipment with us so must rely on rental BCDs and octopus).

Last comment: I know Maldives is dry, but a cool beer in the evening is part of the vacation experience (I've spent over 15 years in "dry" countries...), so resorts are probably a must...

Most grateful for any advice, as we start our planning for this trip!

Best,

Rene

Dear all,

Very sorry to post yet another request for suggestions, but I am a Maldives newbie and am looking for a good option for diving in the Maldives with my family, all experienced divers (160 dives plus).

We have dived mostly in the Sinai (Sharm, Marsa Alam, Dahab, Wadi Lahmy), Indonesia (Bali, Komodo) , Thailand (Khao Lak) and been on a few liveaboards. We would like to be in a 3 to 4 star resort type of accommodation and do a lot of land-based diving, hoping to see the big pelagics , but also good coral and smaller stuff if possible.

I have read many of the earlier posts and it appears a good idea to be as far as possible away from Male, North or South. Where should we go?

We are flexible on the period, so are interested in hearing what is best in terms of climate, viz. and presence of marine life.

I am not keen on seeing the fish fed, I prefer not to see them in their natural environment rather than spoon-fed by local operators...

Finally, as for everyone else, a professional dive center is key (we only lug part of our equipment with us so must rely on rental BCDs and octopus).

Last comment: I know Maldives is dry, but a cool beer in the evening is part of the vacation experience (I've spent over 15 years in "dry" countries...), so resorts are probably a must...

Most grateful for any advice, as we start our planning for this trip!

Best,

Rene

I have dived in the Maldives on eight separate occasions in the past ten months, and returning to dive in few weeks.

The best diving is at least fifty kilometers outside of Malé and Hulhumalé.

When do you plan to visit the Maldives? Your answer is predicated on climate, visibility, currents, and pricing, both for diving and lodging.

Dear AZNScubagirl,

Many thanks for your quick response!

Trip would last about 10 days and could take place this summer (Mid-July to Mid-AUg) or in October.

Best,

RA

Dear AZNScubagirl,

Many thanks for your quick response!

Trip would last about 10 days and could take place this summer (Mid-July to Mid-AUg) or in October.

Best,

RA
Looks like rainy season in the Indian Ocean, not the best time. Try to make it in October.

You’re welcome!

Fortunately, you are planning to go when it’s the low season in the Maldives. Prices are considerably lower and hotel vacancies are just as low.

October is still a nice time to visit the Maldives. Summer in the Maldives is still nice, actually, almost any time of year is ideal. I love the warm water and the incredible visibility. Coral and marine life is not the same as in the Red Sea, especially in the Blue Hole in Dahab.

If you want to see the pelagics, it’s best to go to the Central or Southern atolls. I will never tire of swimming with giant manta rays and whale sharks.

An all-inclusive meal and beverage plan at resorts are highly recommended since one beer can cost up to 10 USD! (Almost everything is imported).

Thanks again!

October sounds best option and Southern atolls beckon.

Does anyone have suggestions on resorts with serious diving ops, pref under US$ 150 per day all-in?

Best,

Rene

From my personal research - Almost nothing at that price point unless you stay on a local island without alcohol. Even there expect to pay a minimum 250USD with 3 dives per day with B&B. Usual prices are 65USD per dive without rental gear and expect to pay more as you start renting bits here and there. IIRC, the cheapest resorts with alcohol offered (at extra price) start at 250USD per night without the diving.

Dear Pearlman,

Many thanks!

I see I must revise my budget!

So where would you advise my going for 250 to 300 USD all-in (not including the diving)? Ari atoll?

Best,

Rene

Maldives need careful research. If you choose an all-in resort that is probably the complete island you are stuck, if the food etc is no good, if the dive op is unhelpful etc. Some islands have a tendency to be majority a particular nationality and this can prove difficult with language and also domination of dive choices and dive parameters. Low season is also a problem due to wind, currents and viz. IWhat about a liveaboard which will go where the best conditions are?

Have you considered East Coast Africa?

Dear Pelan-Pelan,

Many thanks for your response, extremely useful.

I concur re all your comments: food, nationalities, etc. Issue is that we are a mixed group, divers, non-divers, 2 young ones doing OW and AOW, respectively (ergo, no liveaboard for them quite yet).

Not sure we are going to succeed to satisfy all concerned, esp. given the high price of diving in the Maldives...

I''ll look up East Africa presently (haven't been back since 1971...)

Best,

Rene

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom