Maldives trip late April - best budget island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerogers

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all! Looking for some advice on which island and dive center to go to for the last week of April. I've heard amazing things about Fuvamulah but am backpacking on a budget, so not sure whether it's worth the extra flight cost to get there vs. some of the islands closer to Male like Dhangethi and Mahibadhoo. Any recommendations appreciated!

We've recently been "island hopping" on three Maldives islands: Fulidhoo, Dhigurah, and Rasdhoo.
First of all, I'd say, any of the local islands is good for diving, you can't really go wrong. Dive shops generally are good quality, and dive sites range from interesting to spectacular.
We did about 30 dives and never got bored.
That said, there are a few specialities to each island:
  • Fulidhoo is really small and has great "small island"/village vibes, very chill and relaxed, only two dive shops (both excellent), diving typical for Maldives (lots of reef sharks, nurse sharks, turtles, eagle rays, stingrays. And the coral is generally in not too bad shape, less bleaching than we had feared. Not exactly like the red sea but still beautiful in many places).
  • Dhigurah is much larger, and specially located at one of the world's whale shark hotspots, which is why many people go there (we were lucky enough to encounter a whale shark underwater on our last day diving, a once in a lifetime experience that we will never forget, see image attached). Furthermore there are really spectacular dive sites (Thilas, coral gardens etc). We were in the "Boutique Beach" all inclusive diver hotel, which is excellent but quite pricey (but worth every penny, and run by divers for divers, which shows).
  • Rasdhoo has more of a backpacker/hostel vibe, feels a bit "cheaper"/ less rich population. Also quite densely populated. Regarding the tourists: younger crowd, no hotels (only cheaper guest houses - choose wisely, our first one was cockroach infested and we had to move to a different place), beach cafes with music etc. Diving is very good, comparable to Fulidhoo.
  • Fuvamulah is especially famous for the shark diving, especially tiger sharks, which are fed for tourists. We didn't go there since a) are sceptical about the shark feeding practice and b) it's far from Male: all of the above islands (Fulidhoo, Dhigurah, Rasdhoo) are 1-2 hours by speedboat from Male/airport. Whereas for Fuvamulah a domestic flight is necessary.
If I had to rank the three, I would put it this way:
Dhigurah was the best. Fulidhoo was also amazing. Rasdhoo was nice.

Maybe that helps a bit 😊

Matt

Attachments

• 1713685957202.jpg
    1713685957202.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 23
I stayed on Ellaidhoo this time last year and had a great time, multiple daily trips to a wide range of dive sites and a brilliant house reef.

I stayed on Ellaidhoo this time last year and had a great time, multiple daily trips to a wide range of dive sites and a brilliant house reef.
Yeah, but the budget rooms are extremely depressing.

Yeah, but the budget rooms are extremely depressing.
I agree mate, we stayed in a superior double which was lovely.
Right opposite one of the access points for the house reef as well, which was pretty handy.

I agree mate, we stayed in a superior double which was lovely.
Right opposite one of the access points for the house reef as well, which was pretty handy.
Ditto

Back
Top Bottom