Malfunctioning inflator - can't find the defect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adam, I do like that suggestion, thank you! I wonder if the extra connection introduces another failure point, and I'd love to hear others' opinions on this, but I'll definitely look into it.

I know. I'm not speaking for Gene but the schrader I'm talking about is the one in the LP hose itself. There's one in there.

The schrader in the end of the LP hose Quick disconnect has nothing to do with the function of the Power Inflator. It only serves to shut off the flow from the LP hose when it is disconnected.

One could remove the shrader in the end of the LP hose and the Inflator would still function fine.

Don't do this of course because the LP hose would free flow when disconnected.

Inflators can be touchy about oring and in particular the durometer of the ring. I tend towards the 90 duro rings, but these may not seal as well.

The softer rings (70 duro) seal better, but extrude more easily.

Inflators are essentially *another* regulator and deserve appropriate respect.

Me? I carry a rebuilt and tested cartridge valve in my SAD kit. Much easier to swap out the valve than to change power inflators.

Tobin

I've used my Zeagle BX inflator almost since it came out and never had a problem, and I switched for the same reason as yours-- the inflator on my old Zeagle Escape failed so rather than repairing it I changed to a brand new BX. After diving, I undo the BX inflator and soak it with the other gear.

The system does have another O ring connection that potentially could fail, but the upside is the inflator gets a better soaking and drying and you can see inside it after each dive. And of course, the wing gets a much better flush with the garden hose and flushing out all the steel parts of the over-pressure valves. So I think the net effect on the "failure points" argument may be in favor of the BX.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom