Mallorca marine reserves....WTF!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikemccrsa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am deeply disappointed at the manner in which the so-called marine reserves of el Toro and Isla Malgrats on the south coast of Mallorca are handled by the Spanish authorites.

Whilst I was doing my dive training there recently I was told how the number of divers is limited to 12 per mooring so as to protect the reef, a limitation which apparently is quite strickly enforced.

On the 1 October we went out to el Toro to dive and lo and behold the place is riddled with fishing boats!!

I asked the skipper what was going on and he replied that the fishing season had just opened and it was always crowded during the month of October which is the duration of the season.

What is the point of protecting an area for 11 months of the year and then allowing it to be obliterated in one fell swoop?:confused:

Does anyone know if this is done elsewhere?

Can anyone think of a sound scientific reason for allowing this...other than to make money of the fishing licenses no doubt!

I doubt that a few fishing licenses would make or break the Island economy. I would imagine that it was part of a concession which enabled the creation of the marine reserve. If they were smart, the time allowed for fishing will shrink every year until it is gone. Sometimes you have to take baby steps.

Disappointing? Sure. Should they do better? We certainly hope they do.

Lots of times that stuff is enforced half heartedly too.

The "on/off" type of MPA has been shown to be useless. They tried that here with an on year and off year for some spots and it did nothing to increase biodiversity, abundance, or any other ecological markers.

The "on/off" type of MPA has been shown to be useless. They tried that here with an on year and off year for some spots and it did nothing to increase biodiversity, abundance, or any other ecological markers.

This is my feeling as well. I would imagine that when the area is fished the larger members of the species are particularly affected as they will be the specimens that are kept for the bag. This in turn would surely reduce the amount of fish produced during the next spawning, which in turn results in smaller and smaller populations.

As Netdoc mentioned earlier in this thread I suppose we can only hope that the amount of time allowed for fishing is gradually reduced to nothing so the area can recover naturally.

Last edited:
As Netdoc mentioned earlier in this thread I suppose we can only hope that the amount of time allowed for fishing is gradually reduced to nothing so the area can recover naturally.

Don't hold your breath.

Mallorca marine reserve : Marine and Ocean Conservation News from Earthdive

27 April 2006 Mallorca marine reserve [Keyword: ]
Spanish authorities together with local Mallorcan authorities and representatives from the fishing sector have agreed on the creation of a marine reserve of fishing interest off the island of Mallorca.

The creation of this marine reserve is, among other things, a result of the necessity to protect a zone that presents a good state of conservation of the fishing resources.

The zone to be protected covers an area of some 11.200 hectares which is divided into interior and exterior areas with the central government and local government being in charge of one area each.

The investment for the period 2006-2008 for the operation, assessment and the outfit of facilities of the marine reserve is estimated at around 2.100.000 euros.

The usage of the marine reserve allowed will be subject to control and supervision and the development of it will be subject to an annual scientific tracking, which results will be the base of adjustments in its management.

Within the marine reserve, there will be at least one integral zone reserved where only scientific work will be permitted.

This reserve will be the tenth reserve since 1986.

Do you dive in Spain much Mike?

Hi Folks,
As a new resident in Mallorca I too have been amazed at the type of systems they have in place here in regards to some of their marine reserves..a little mind boggling to say the least!!!
However, there are marine reserves around the island that are protected all year round and I must admit after nearly 10 years of diving the Great Barrier Reef and also in the Caribbean that I was super impressed with the north of Mallorca.Particularly the dive sites around Cala Rajada.
There are people here who want to help make a change and there is a group campaigning now to change the regulations for El Toro.
I have moved here with my wife and now call Mallorca home, so yes I am definitely one of the people that will be fighting for change.We cant do it alone though and will need interest from all corners of the globe.
Jack Handy...wise words...!!!

Back
Top Bottom