Trip Report Malpelo 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The usual route from the UK, Bogotá followed by an internal flight to Cali - Avianca,reliable and they have numerous flights each day, I always arrive at least the day before in case of luggage delays.

Unfortunately for us probably the worst sea conditions in the last 5-6 years but the Ferox crew dealt with them very well, crossings both ways especially out were very rough so make sure to bring sea sick pills and patches in case you can’t keep them down. Interestingly I bumped into a guy in the airport who has been out to Colombia fishing numerous times and he said the same about the conditions last week.

The water was very warm (28 degrees) and the usual higher up thermocline in Jan/Feb was not evident, there was very strong current all week on most sites despite the full moon being 2 weeks prior so we had to settle for the most sheltered sites like La Nevera.

The strong winds we experienced on the way out died down and viz improved as the week went on but we still saw plenty as the life is so close. The penultimate day the wind picked up again (20-25knots) sadly forcing us to cancel the last day of diving (21 dives v 24 planned), very unusual conditions and I am sure El Niño is playing a part, a friend on the previous trip had calm conditions and great viz all week….but Malpelo still delivered regardless.

The marine life was fantastic again, even on a ‘poor’ dive there is so much to see, this place has something unique about it.

Many Galapagos sharks this time and close too, they are simply huge here, Tiger shark and the largest school of Eagle Rays most of us had ever seen (20-30) - we saw them often on Cara De Fantasma.

Odd Hammerheads coming in from the blue and I do like ending the dive in the blue as you never what can turn up but usually if lucky Hammerheads, we saw the schools 3-4 times.

Large schools of Jacks, Leather Bass, free swimming morays everywhere and lots of life in the rocks if you can tear yourself away from the big stuff.

5mm semi dry with a light hood and gloves (a must here) was sufficient and 15 litre cylinders are great (for men anyway) most of the dives are in the 20-30 metre range for the whole hour so extra air helps along with the mandatory 32% nitrox.

The Ferox now has Starlink WiFi while you are out there too.

There is nothing quite like Malpelo and being one of only 12 divers there is so nice, will I return for a third time - absolutely.

Attachments

• IMG_9852.jpeg
    IMG_9852.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9851.jpeg
    IMG_9851.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9850.jpeg
    IMG_9850.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9848.jpeg
    IMG_9848.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9724.jpeg
    IMG_9724.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 63
Hi @Grm

Thanks for the report. Sorry you had less than stellar conditions. I was quite surprised at the very warm water temperature. I visited Malpelo in July of 2023 and in July of 2021, the average water temperature was 79F/26C and 75F/24C. The temperature last summer surprised me at how warm it was.

I'll be returning in March of 2025 and was expecting cool water and less visibility. You're right, nothing quite like Malpelo, it draws you back for more.

A tiger shark, eh? Cool! I don't think that's a typical sighting, from trip reports. Any idea how large it was, and how close?

For that matter, since you mentioned the Galapagos sharks were huge, did you guys feel intimidated by them at any point?

While any sizable sharks merits respect, some (e.g.: reef sharks, nurse sharks, lemon sharks and sand tiger sharks) aren't usually feared unless people are spear fishing, whereas some others (e.g.: tiger sharks, bull sharks) seem to be on another level of concern. I've historically not gotten the impression Galapagos sharks were all that intimidating, but I suppose if they were really big...

Tigers do turn up from time to time here, 10 -15 metres away and 3 metres long. The Galapagos here seem quite chilled and can come pretty close, we never felt too bothered by them just enjoyed the show, pics attached

Temps certainly high, just checked my computer and nearly every dive was 27-28 throughout the dive, we did hit a odd cooler thermocline but not as often as usual

Attachments

• IMG_9739 Edited.jpeg
    IMG_9739 Edited.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9716 Edited.jpeg
    IMG_9716 Edited.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 43
  • P2060225 Edited.jpeg
    P2060225 Edited.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 46

Back
Top Bottom