Trip Report Return to Malpelo, July 20-30, 2023 on Colombia Dive Adventures, Ferox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I took those 2 quotes together because in combination they suggest to me Malpelo's diving can be a bit 'challenging,' and averages deeper than some of the mainstream Caribbean destinations, so air consumption for people who aren't particularly good with it could be limiting. At least that's my inference.
Exactly, that's why I suggested using the average depth and dive time I included in my report to estimate gas requirements. My average RMV on this trip was the same as my long-term average, 0.36 cu ft/min (0.32-0.41). I used an AL80 and ended dives with a little less than 500 psi one third of the time (400-490). Nobody in our dive group this visit ended a dive early. Back in 2021, one man using an AL100, ended a few of his dives a little early and surfaced on his DSMB, to be picked up by the RIB.

The AL80s and the AL100s are filled to the same pressure, an average of 3100 psi for my cylinders this year. So, I started with an average of about 80 cu ft while those with the AL100s started with about 94 cu ft.

Colombia Dive Adventures has recently added a second ship. The Vivax is the sister ship of the Ferox. It will be interesting to see how the Vivax fits in, perhaps adding Gorgona to the mix.

Currently, only a single liveaboard is allowed at Malpelo at a time.

Reactions: Dan
Malpelo with the Three Musketeers and D'Artagnan to the north (right) and the Three Kings, Escuba, and La Gringa to the south (left)
1695827633234.png

Just in case some of you missed seeing the trip video of this trip. Here’s the link:

Currently, only a single liveaboard is allowed at Malpelo at a time.

when I was in Malpelo with Ferox ( end April 2023 ) there was the Sea Wolf also there , anyway we planned the diving to not dive in the same place on same time .

when I was in Malpelo with Ferox ( end April 2023 ) there was the Sea Wolf also there , anyway we planned the diving to not dive in the same place on same time .
Yes, Things have changed this year. We saw Sea Wolf & Undersea Hunter there too.

IMG_1803.jpeg
IMG_1816.jpeg

The official policy is one recreational liveaboard at a time. This has not changed. The way some operators have gotten around this is by claiming they are research vessels on science expeditions.

@Dan will probably remember better than I do. Sea Wolf and Undersea Hunter were both at Malpelo when we arrived. Both left within 1, or at most, 2 days. We never saw their divers. I was wondering at the time if our extra day of diving, 7 rather than the more usual 6, had anything to do with seeing the other boats. @Colombia Dive Adventures explanation fixed that, thanks Tony.

Reactions: Dan
@Dan will probably remember better than I do. Sea Wolf and Undersea Hunter were both at Malpelo when we arrived. Both left within 1, or at most, 2 days. We never saw their divers. I was wondering at the time if our extra day of diving, 7 rather than the more usual 6, had anything to do with seeing the other boats. @Colombia Dive Adventures explanation fixed that, thanks Tony.
I should add that private yachts can also obtain permission to visit Malpelo. While rare we have been joined by a few superyachts over the years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom