MALTA - Logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roy_W

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,
We are considering Malta for 2024 and would like to know from someone who has dived about the logistics.

We are CMAS 3 level divers , Nitrox and a reasonable bit of experience in different waters/sites environments etc. So we would be diving unaccompanied.. ( I have read the threads about Maltese laws and the rééquipements , so need need to repeat or point to them.

Question - Accountability situation Malta
Tec diver slams judicial system in Malta

My main questions are as follows, after finding a dive shop and renting a suitable vehicle - how easy/difficult is it :

1 : To find a place park close to the entry points? It is just a case of parking where you can or are there dedicated places ?

2 : After parking - How close are the sites in general to the dive entry points. Walking over difficult ground, climbing ladders, backwards flips through hoops etc, with full gear is not my cup of tea - If the dives are deeper than 30m, or lengthy in time, I might have a twinset. ( So we are talking relatively heavy gear) .

Someone posted a link to this site MaltaDives.com – Malta, Gozo, Comino & Filfla dive sites, this at least helps understand the geography but not the real world experience ;-) when kitted up.

3 : Entering and leaving the water - We are used to shore diving but not the kind where you jump from the shore, we usually walk in and out without any problem, usually its in lakes.
This is the area which we are not accustomed to : shore diving with Swell/Waves. What advice can anyone offer ?

Cheers

that will be your first time on malta/gozo?
i would recommand going with a guide. the conditions can change fast and you would not be the the first person in danger
on Malta i like divesystem or octopus garden, on gozo claypso diber or rituals

It would be the first time diving , yes... I have been to Malta twice before but only on a professional basis.. So I already know that not everything is in 1st class , 5 star condition ;-)

I can understand that it might be necessary to go with a pro for a few dives in order to get used to the conditions.

Is there a lot of having to "hump" your gear around or walking with your tank on your back ? I've become too accustomed to Live-Aboards where they almost carry you to the edge of the boat and throw you in. :cool:

Im gonna second that. Many of the sights will be hard to find fist time. Some are farther walk from the parking than others.
You can prob find a guide for just your group.
Why stress about it.

That said…yeah, it’s doable. Shops that fill your tanks will prob advise.
Parking…I’ve never been in high season so I don’t know how crazy it gets but it was pretty simple in late June few years back. Loads of space mostly.
Entry exit can be sketchy on some if you don’t know the site. There are maps around but I don’t know how useful they would be.
Twins on some sites would be very impractical if not impossible.

Twins impractical because of the up or down hill hike and the exits. Some are ladders banged into a rock face. So depends on how hardy you are

"Entry exit can be sketchy on some if you don’t know the site. There are maps around but I don’t know how useful they would be.
Twins on some sites would be very impractical if not impossible."

"Twins impractical because of the up or down hill hike and the exits. Some are ladders banged into a rock face. So depends on how hardy you are"

I must admit that neither of the above are inspiring..... I'm not getting any younger, almost 58, I consider myself reasonably hardy, but definitely not enough to climb a ladder with Twins.... Even the idea of a single plus weights doesn't appeal very much. And I know for certain that the wife won't accept any humping around...

A destination reconsideration might be in order...

"Entry exit can be sketchy on some if you don’t know the site. There are maps around but I don’t know how useful they would be.
Twins on some sites would be very impractical if not impossible."

"Twins impractical because of the up or down hill hike and the exits. Some are ladders banged into a rock face. So depends on how hardy you are"

I must admit that neither of the above are inspiring..... I'm not getting any younger, almost 58, I consider myself reasonably hardy, but definitely not enough to climb a ladder with Twins.... Even the idea of a single plus weights doesn't appeal very much. And I know for certain that the wife won't accept any humping around...

A destination reconsideration might be in order...
Not at all.
You just pick your sites. I’m giving worst case scenarios really.
Maltas great. Go. There’s something for everyone there.
And eat some pastizis!

Hi All,
We are considering Malta for 2024 and would like to know from someone who has dived about the logistics.

We are CMAS 3 level divers , Nitrox and a reasonable bit of experience in different waters/sites environments etc. So we would be diving unaccompanied.. ( I have read the threads about Maltese laws and the rééquipements , so need need to repeat or point to them.

My main questions are as follows, after finding a dive shop and renting a suitable vehicle - how easy/difficult is it :

1 : To find a place park close to the entry points? It is just a case of parking where you can or are there dedicated places ?

2 : After parking - How close are the sites in general to the dive entry points. Walking over difficult ground, climbing ladders, backwards flips through hoops etc, with full gear is not my cup of tea - If the dives are deeper than 30m, or lengthy in time, I might have a twinset. ( So we are talking relatively heavy gear) .

Someone posted a link to this site MaltaDives.com – Malta, Gozo, Comino & Filfla dive sites, this at least helps understand the geography but not the real world experience ;-) when kitted up.

3 : Entering and leaving the water - We are used to shore diving but not the kind where you jump from the shore, we usually walk in and out without any problem, usually its in lakes.
This is the area which we are not accustomed to : shore diving with Swell/Waves. What advice can anyone offer ?

Cheers
Hello Roy.

My Name is Lewis.

I read through your thread and understand that you wish to do some independent diving, here in Malta 2024, and having been advised best maybe to do a few guided dives.

I am a local pro my webstore is Dive80cuft

Working out of a small shop here, I can provide logistics, tanks weights, dive packs, gases, technical, ccr and equipment.

My email is dive80cuft@gmail.com

I would happily advise you if you need some one to help arrange logistics and decent guided.

The difference from myself and a dive centre is that I am well versed in the water movements of the island and also the fewer dived more interesting dive sites.

Hope to hear from you.

Lewis

Hi All,

Cheers
You might want to read the Malta Diving Regulations before organising your own diving, see here. If thing go wrong as the organiser you could have problems, let a professional centre, who are familiar with the eccentricities of Malta guide you.

My wife and me did visit Malta when we only had like 100/150 dives.

We did rent our tanks and appartement true maltaqua, they where very helpful. They did contact someone to rent a car, the trunk was ready for dive gear and the price and service was very nice.

When you go pick up your tanks in the morning you just ask if there are sides of the island to avoid that day.
We did join them for one day to go to Gozo.

The driving is more challenging then the diving. 😅

Most places you can park close to the water, there are a some exceptions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom