Manado: via SIN, KUL or JKT: Which is Best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn

Contributor
Reaction score
We're planning another trip to Indonesia with Lembeh as the first stop. I will be using miles for award tickets, and I can get to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore or Jakarta as gateways. I know that Singapore will be easiest. But it's by far the most expensive. One way to Manado from SIN is around $ 325 USD, or just under $1000 for the three of us. So I'm seriously considering KUL or JKT. I can fly Air Asia including extra fees for overweight baggage (purchased in advance) and for picking a seat for around $300 USD for the three of us. Alternatively, Garuda flies from Jakarta to Manado for around $125 USD per person or $375 total. All three are direct flights. All three require an overnight, either in town or at an airport hotel. I'm guessing Jakarta makes the least sense as I'd still need to pick up luggage and switch terminals, would probably be tagged for overweight baggage, and Jakarta isn't known as the safest place. Kuala Lumpur and Air Asia is the cheapest option, but how big a hassle is Air Asia? How much trouble will it be to get to the LCCT? Or should I just suck it up and go through SIN?

I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with either Air Asia or Garuda out of Jakarta. (I've flown Garuda many times but have never been through Jakarta.)

Air Asia, an easy option, LCCT - Low cost terminal about 10 mins transfer from KLIA main airport.
Options are stop in airport best hotel Pan Pacific or other cheper hotels and get cab. U can go downtown and there is a direct bus to Low cost terminal.
As an airline, u get what u pay for, only issue is if they dont fly, you're left to buy on next service, but most aircraft new so should be OK, Id go Air Asia via KUL, garuda regionally not great.

Kuala Lumpur is much preferable to Jakarta. The airport is very modern. I was put up by Malaysian Airlines in at a luxury Hotel near the airport in the countryside. Good highways and transport.

Since you will be flying out of LAX, one advantage of doing Singapore Air connecting with Silkair is that since Silk Air is their subsidiary, it is considered to be a "continuous flight form US and thus your qualify on all segments for the Piece Concept for luggage. Plus you check you luggage in the US and do not touch it again until Manado.

So you would have between the three of you (take me and I will give you my luggage allowance!!)
. have carry on, plus six pieces of luggage at up to fifty pounds a piece.

I have done this route three times flawlessly - zero problems, and it is clearly the best from an non-financial point of view. Very easy. No need to go into Singapore, there are transit hotel rooms on the third floor of all three terminals. I am not sure of the current schedule, but the One stop direct route via Narita, Tokyo is generally cheaper (it gets discounted at certain times of the year) than the non-stop route. Also I like the chance to get out for an hour at Narita and stretch my legs. Both flights connect you with the same morning Silk Air flight, but as the Narita flight leaves LA earlier, it arrives in Singapore earlier so you have more time on the ground to sleep.

Ambassador Transit Hotels are located on level 3 of all three terminals.
Book in well in advance to be sure you get a space.

Here is their web site Ambassador Transit Hotel
and for rates Ambassador Transit Hotel
They book in six hour initial blocks with hourly extensions available. Three person room is about US$70.

Here is the reference on Silk Air's web site about luggage.
http://www.silkair.com/mbe/en_UK/content/help/helpBaggageAllowance.jsp

Business Class
· Two pieces of baggage may be checked.
· The sum of the greatest outside linear dimensions of each bag cannot exceed 158 cm (62 in).
· The weight of each piece is limited to 23 kg (50 lb).

Economy Class
· The sum of the greatest outside linear dimensions of the two pieces measured together does not
exceed 273 cm (106 in), provided that the outside linear dimensions of each bag do not exceed 158 cm (62 in).
· PPS and KrisFlyer Gold members are allowed one extra bag.
Infants are entitled to 10 kg of checked baggage plus either one fully collapsible stroller/pushchair or carrycot or Infant's car seat. Infant food may be carried as hand-luggage for the infant's consumption on board.

Note: customers travelling to/from USA/Canada regions on the same ticket will have these baggage allowances applied at all points in the itinerary. Excess baggage will continue to be levied on a per-piece basis.

Last edited:
out US$70. out US$70. out US$70. Kuala Lumpur is much preferable to Jakarta. The airport is very modern. I was put up by Malaysian Airlines in at a luxury Hotel near the airport in the countryside. Good highways and transport.

Since you will be flying out of LAX, one advantage of doing Singapore Air connecting with Silkair is that since Silk Air is their subsidiary, it is considered to be a "continuous flight form US and thus your qualify on all segments for the Piece Concept for luggage. Plus you check you luggage in the US and do not touch it again until Manado.

So you would have between the three of you (take me and I will give you my luggage allowance!!)
you wiout US$70. have carry on, plus six pieces of luggage at up to fifty pounds a piece.

I have done this route three times flawlessly - zero problems, and it is clearly the best from an non-financial point of view. Very easy. No need to go into Singapore, there are transit hotel rooms on the third floor of all three terminals. I am not sure of the current schedule, but the One stop direct route via Narita, Tokyo is generally cheaper (it gets discounted at certain times of the year) than the non-stop route. Also I like the chance to get out for an hour at Narita and stretch my legs. Both flights connect you with the same morning Silk Air flight, but as the Narita flight leaves LA earlier, it arrives in Singapore earlier so you have more time on the ground to sleep.

Ambassador Transit Hotels are located on level 3 of all three terminals.
Book in well in advance to be sure you get a space.

Here is their web site Ambassador Transit Hotel
and for rates Ambassador Transit Hotel
They book in six hour initial blocks with hourly extensions available. Three person room is about US$70.

Here is the reference on Silk Air's web site about luggage.
SilkAir : where the world unwinds

Business Class
· The sum of the greatest outside linear dimensions of each bag cannot exceed 158 cm (62 in).

Economy Class
· The sum of the greatest outside linear dimensions of the two pieces measured together does not
exceed 273 cm (106 in), provided that the outside linear dimensions of each bag do not exceed 158 cm (62 in).
· PPS and KrisFlyer Gold members are allowed one extra bag.
Infants are entitled to 10 kg of checked baggage plus either one fully collapsible stroller/pushchair or carrycot or Infant's car seat. Infant food may be carried as hand-luggage for the infant's consumption on board.

Note: customers travelling to/from USA/Canada regions on the same ticket will have these baggage allowances applied at all points in the itinerary. Excess baggage will continue to be levied on a per-piece basis.

Hey Alan, how are you?

We're using AA miles, so we can fly either Japan Airlines or Cathay Pacific. Right now Cathay looks more likely. I know this works SilkAir would be convenient. I've done it before. Once we arrived in Singapore, the transfer desk arranged the transfer of our luggage. Never had to worry about luggage allowances on Silk. Never had to clear immigration or leave the secure area. But at three times the cost, I don't know that the convenience is worth it.

The airport pickup guy at the resort I stay at says that the flight from Jakarta to Manado is often late. I think you are always better off avoiding Jakarta and domestic Indonesia flights. So KUL and Air Asia looks best.

AA is point to point flight; be prepared for 24 hours delay (read "reschedule")
It's happen to us when we visit Pulau Weh via KL on July 2009. Indeed, they sent sms / e-mail a day before but useless as we're on the way to KL; and we can't contact the given phone number.
Some people told me, if there's not many passenger in plane they will combine the flight/rescheduling.

Don't expect any compensation, even if you buy their GoInsure travel protection. This travel protection is absolutely useless.
After wasting our time and money to contact them we get nothing. They don't response to our e-mail and don't pick-up the phone.

as a big city KL is not safer than any other big city, in fact getting worst.
We experienced snatch theft in KLCC area during our transit from Manado December last year.
I posted this here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/malaysia-singapore/266254-beware-klcc-area-if-you-overnight-kl.html
We're lucky nobody injure.
Many people here frequently traveling to KL, many of them having similar bad experience in KL.

So, if you decide to overnight at KL, please be carefull and allert with motorcyclist, do not use handbag, use backpack; if you use taxi lock the door particularly at traffic light.

The LCCT is at least a 40 min taxi ride from the main terminal in KL. ( you need at least 3-4 hrs to make a connection as you need to collect baggage)

IMHO either go via KL or Jkt depending on the flight schedules.

AA leaves KL early in the morning if i recall correctly.

There is a decent cheap hotel near the Jakarta airport, about $55. You could fly Lion or Garuda . The hotel will collect you from the Int terminal then take you to the hotel in 15 mins. Then in the morning they will transfer you to the domestic ter free of charge.
Jak airport is ok. IMHO it is better than the LCCT in KL which can get very busy/stressful.
The dive resort in Manado should be able to book this domestic flight for you or put you in contact with a travel agent who can.

Personally i would rather fly Gar or Lion rather than AA.
I have flown air asia twice. Once good, once really bad (20 hr delay)

I ddi not have any problem with Air Asia, you can get a bus from the KL main terminal or take the bus, took us only 15 min (taxi). Check in very easy, but you are on a cheap airline, so dont wait for free food. The quality of the plane was good and we felt good on our flight to Bali.

The LCCT is at least a 40 min taxi ride from the main terminal in KL. ( you need at least 3-4 hrs to make a connection as you need to collect baggage)

IMHO either go via KL or Jkt depending on the flight schedules.

AA leaves KL early in the morning if i recall correctly.

There is a decent cheap hotel near the Jakarta airport, about $55. You could fly Lion or Garuda . The hotel will collect you from the Int terminal then take you to the hotel in 15 mins. Then in the morning they will transfer you to the domestic ter free of charge.
Jak airport is ok. IMHO it is better than the LCCT in KL which can get very busy/stressful.
The dive resort in Manado should be able to book this domestic flight for you or put you in contact with a travel agent who can.

Personally i would rather fly Gar or Lion rather than AA.
I have flown air asia twice. Once good, once really bad (20 hr delay)

How's Jakarta as a city? If we were to arrive at noon with a flight out the next morning, would it be worth a trip into the city itself?

Jkta is ok, good for shopping, cheap hotels, lots of cheap DVDs,CDs, excellent food.... but i do not recommend you travelling into the city for such a short time.
The traffic can be bad. It can take up to 1 hr to get to the center depending on traffic.
Jkt does not really have a center that you can see tourist stuff. Just lots of busy shopping places/regions.
Taking into acc jet lag , just enjoy the airport hotel. They have a hot & cold plunge pool/spa . Its called something like FM (look on http://www.wotif.com/hotel/View?hotel=W65719&page=1&viewType=allfor hotel booking). I thought it was very good value for money. It is a very modern hotel. There is nothing to do outside teh hotel as its near the airport.

If you are thinking about going via Jkta just remember that most of the Jkta-Manado flights stop enroute via Makassar. This is no problem. it is a very quick stop & the new airport in Makassar is very good.

In KL the LCCT and the main terminal are at least 20-30 km (by road) from each other. The road linking the 2 terminals is a huge ring road. I was in a taxi asking the driver to drive fast as i was very late for my AA flight & it still took 30-40 mins.

If you are overnighting in KL definately go & stay in the city & see the twin towers. Again the LCCT is about 40-60 min taxi ride from KL city center.

Singapore is by far the most confortable route but is also far more expensive, not only the flights but also 4/5 star hotels cost about 2-3 times as much as they do in Jakarta. You can get an ace 5 star hotel in Jkat for aapprox $100.

KL has options to see some tourist stuff & the hotels are reasonably priced. I just do not like the airport. It huge & its also painful transfering to the LCCT. The LCCT can be very busy and it is not easy to find teh correct check in desk.

Jkta airport is ok. It is never really busy & its handy if you are looking to buy some shark fin!!!!:shakehead:
The other benefits of flying via jkta is excess baggage rates will be charged at domestic levels i.e really low.

Garuda never charged me excess when i recently flew with them. I had 27 kgs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom