Manatee Dive Crystal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info. Snorkeling sounds good. I haven't been near manatees in years and this will be the first time for my wife. Well other than at Living Seas at Epoct.

I went out with Birds a week ago, and the all morning Snorkel trip was only $30 each. They didn't even charge me for the one year old, even though she took up Coast Guard allotment of space. I guess a group rate would be cheaper, but that's pretty cheap.

I guess they make their money on rentals, i.e. Wetsuits @ $12, Snorkel gear @ $8 - no vest. We didn't need much, so they didn't make much off of us. Really good folks.

Great restaraunts in town, too...! :D

That's actually about right for gear rentals, too. Here in town,... lubberland, we have three shops, and their basic package runs about twenty bucks to rent snorkel gear. I would like to be able to get the price down to 25$ each, (lower if possible). As that is, the cost is not bad for a day trip. http://www.birdsunderwater.com/manatee_tours/index.html
They have group rates available, probably about the range I'm looking for.
The trip is about 3 hours, starting just after 6 A.M. each morning. I'll be calling them on the rates tomorrow after I get some sleep. (at work until 8 am now)

1Cavediver here on SB is a skipper for Birds. He referred me there when I asked for manatee diving help elsehwere here.

My family was blown away by the whole, wonderful experience, and I was impressed with the quality of the operation.

My trip report: http://www.scubaboard.com/t65987.html

Would we want to rent an entire pontoon boat, through Birds or that other place out of the motel - might be cheaper that way and we can take our time rather than being herded around due to the others on the boat? If we took the day we could hit the other springs in the basin. Just need some warm clothing and towels to keep warm from the early morning manatee snorkelling through a day of free/scuba diving.

Becky and i were just discussing going again this "winter" and i suggested that there might be this SB get-together in the plans.

The last scubaboard Crystal River trip (details in the deep south divers section) we stayed at a hotel (port marina?) and rented a pontoon boat and did our own thing, a few others did go out with Bird's. Renting your own boat is nice and you can go where ever you want. We visited 3 sister's springs (better to snorkel this) and also did the King's Bay area with the manatees.

My wife and I (and probably a few friends) were planning on doing a manatee snorkel trip this winter as well. If you've got a "group rate" going, we'd be interested.
But like the others who've posted - we'd need more info. Like, what date?
And we're gonna do what Simbrooks suggests, right? Snorkel with the manatees (so as not to scare them off), and then don our scuba gear for exploring any of the springs later on?

We went last year with American Pro Dive. Went snorkeling first then a cavern dive. Had a great time. Def don't use scuba for the manatees. To noisy will spook.

Had a great time and can't wait to do it again if the timing was right.

DEEPSEAWOLF:
I am starting to get numbers for a charter proposal for an early December Manatee dive-in at Crystal River. Anyone interested, post here. As I gather potential numbers, I will contact charter in an effort to get costs lower for everyone.
This will be a Saturday Morning dive trip, that will probably be heading out before 7 am. It will be a fend for yourself kind of lodging weekend as this will only be a day trip for me. The focus on this one is the high number of potential Manatees in the spring at this time. Once I get about 10-12 responses or more, I will contact the charters. Once I get a base fee, I'll post it here and will start collecting deposits. The sooner we an lock this in, the better. Hit them now while there are lots of reservation openings.

I'm in, too, if I'm not working. I boat out of Crystal a LOT and know the area well. I also recommend renting a 'toon. I'll probably bring my boat, but will probably not be able to take anyone else on it if we scuba. I can help guide. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom