Manatee Dive Crystal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"(particularly with a bad back and barely receeding water at Ginnie)"

The water is receeding? Cool

It's going to crest tomorrow where I work. (can't get to work without a truck with at least 1 foot of clearence due to the water)

First off, back is doing MUCH better! Showing FAMILIAR symptoms! It should be quite dive capable by megadive. I will also talk to more people about the manatee grillout,.. er uh, DIVE! I am still not sure whether we will be renting a craft or snagging charters, but I will begin working on that hardcore the day after megadive. (One bout of organized chaos at a time, please!) I will probably do a charter as it will get us in the water earlier, and if the people that show want to, we can snag a boat after that. This way we have a guaranteed IN THE WATER dive early, and options to extend the weekend. Those that come in later in the morning may be more willing to throw in on the boat which will also make it more feasible for those continuing the day. May be slightly complicated for an all day dive, but at this rate, I may be doing both, so time will tell. As was said before, if the back gets reasonably back to normal, SCUBA will be a MAJOR time/$ investment for me! Join in or get left on the dock watching! :)

Do we have a definite date yet? I need to find out as I work 2 weekends a month.
Kurt

Yes, the date for this will be December 11, and 12. As for where we will be meeting or which craft we re taking hs not yet been decided upon. During the Halloween megadive I expect to get wth a few people on some ideas. keep an eye on that thread as to where the megadive will be. Ultimately, I'd like to see three sisters and a few springs other than just the main bay.

DEEPSEAWOLF:
Yes, the date for this will be December 11, and 12. As for where we will be meeting or which craft we re taking hs not yet been decided upon. During the Halloween megadive I expect to get wth a few people on some ideas. keep an eye on that thread as to where the megadive will be. Ultimately, I'd like to see three sisters and a few springs other than just the main bay.

Wolf-
Unless I missed something, wasn't nothin' to see at 3 sisters. There's supposed to be another site in the vicinity, but I don't know where it is (besides the cavern).
Kurt :06:
(Maybe Captsuzie can jump in here with some local info?) :eyebrow:

As far as diving with manatees, your best bet is 3 sisters. I know there is really not much to see up in there, but if you wanna see manatees that time of year, 3 sisters is the place to be. Other than the main springs, there are a few other places that i know of....one is up in old King's Bay. It's called Catfish hole. Not really much there other than the spring. There is also Hunter Springs which is the canal entrance on the other side of Pete's pier. manatees like going in there as well. Of course there are other various springs around the residential areas that are also really nice nice springs.....but they are just springs. Your not really gonna see anythhing that i personally find really exotic, other than the manatees. however, you can get some really nice "nature" photos and i have never taken a charter out that the customers did not have a blast with.

DEEPSEAWOLF:
I am starting to get numbers for a charter proposal for an early December Manatee dive-in at Crystal River. Anyone interested, post here. As I gather potential numbers, I will contact charter in an effort to get costs lower for everyone.
This will be a Saturday Morning dive trip, that will probably be heading out before 7 am. It will be a fend for yourself kind of lodging weekend as this will only be a day trip for me. The focus on this one is the high number of potential Manatees in the spring at this time. Once I get about 10-12 responses or more, I will contact the charters. Once I get a base fee, I'll post it here and will start collecting deposits. The sooner we an lock this in, the better. Hit them now while there are lots of reservation openings.

I work for a operation in Crystal River. I could help get you a great deal on the manatee tour. Maybe even some room rates. Email for info.
Hope this is helpful.

captsuzieholstead:
As far as diving with manatees, your best bet is 3 sisters. I know there is really not much to see up in there, but if you wanna see manatees that time of year, 3 sisters is the place to be. Other than the main springs, there are a few other places that i know of....one is up in old King's Bay. It's called Catfish hole. Not really much there other than the spring. There is also Hunter Springs which is the canal entrance on the other side of Pete's pier. manatees like going in there as well. Of course there are other various springs around the residential areas that are also really nice nice springs.....but they are just springs. Your not really gonna see anythhing that i personally find really exotic, other than the manatees. however, you can get some really nice "nature" photos and i have never taken a charter out that the customers did not have a blast with.
Thank you, Cap't Suzie!
Kurt

I've been outta the loop for awhile. I'm ready to lasso some sea cow. If someone can e-mail me the particulars on this trip I would appreciate it. I will be outta the loop again until the 1st of December but will check my email when I can and I definately want to go. Can't wait to be cold and wet.
back40

All the details are in this thread...You read it and will know as much as the rest of us:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom