Mangrove diving with a GoPro (using an EelVision filter, diopter and small torch)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toozler

Contributor
Reaction score
Recently had a chance to dive in Bocas del Toro, Panama. Here is a compilation of scenes from a couple dives, this is my first attempt at editing dive videos.

Diving scenes shot at Mangrove Point, Pandora and Coral Garden and appear on a shallow-to-deep order, as you may notice by the overall loss of light and color due to depth and tons of suspended matter. Depths range from 45 to 65 feet, all shot using an EelVision "BG" red filter, camera mounted on a tray. Final scenes shot under a dock on Isla Bastimentos using a tripod and EelVision's "SW" filter - depths around 15-20 feet in green water (mangrove). Visibility approximately 40 feet, bright sunny days. There is a lot of silt on all sites which makes a lot of stuff look "beige" - note the mess the other divers fins make near the coral. Lots of juvenile fish, plankton and suspended matter too as this site is basically a mangrove.

[video=youtube_share;s3X3AYUcO3w]http://youtu.be/s3X3AYUcO3w[/video]

As of the setup, in case anyone is interested:

Shot on auto white balance and most scenes were shot in 720p@30fps wide, close-ups were shot on 1080p@30fps narrow, using a +10 diopter and a small 180 lumen diffused torch (i.e. anemone, threespot damselfish). Post processing included only transitions between scenes and increasing contrast by about 15%. Here's what was used:

1. EelVision "BG" red filter ($9) from EelVision Dive Filters | EelVision (I also used the SW filter from the same company for the 15-20 feet scenes at the end, and anti-fog inserts)
2. Vivitar +10 diopter lens ($6) from Vivitar Series 1 1 2 4 10 Close Up Macro Filter Set w Pouch 62mm | eBay
3. iTorch LED 180 lumen 60 degree ($45) from I-Torch LED Dive Light
4. A small piece of 60 degree holographic diffuser from Wavefront Technology inserted on the torch, kindly provided by another forum user.

As I mentioned on the other topic, I am happy with this setup and even more with the colors. Need to improve my own stability.

Here are some screen captures with notes about depths and setup. There is some quality loss due to the compression from the screen capture (PNG) to upload (JPG).

The following were shot at depths between 40-50 feet using a +10 diopter, 1080p narrow mode, a diffused 180 lumen light and the red filter:

cjchbpk.jpg
n67OQWn.jpg
T574woG.jpg
F67QYr1.jpg

Same depths as above but shot without the diopter, wide mode, red filter only:

Y6HUZ6P.jpg
vnm8DYQ.jpg
rkPCswU.jpg
NqJGdsO.jpg
2EseG3X.jpg

These were shot at around 60 feet, wide mode, no lights, filter only. Noticeable loss on availability of light and colors. Note on the second picture (pointing up) that there was no red flare or backscatter lighting up the dark area under the ledge.

fMix0sh.jpg
7mpNlrZ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom