Manifold Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Why does the DIR community advocate manifold doubles versus fully independent (primary/secondary for each tank) doubles? I have not taken fundies but it seems the independent setup would be less error prone.

Independent Doubles and Sidemount Technique is a specialized subset and not yet standardized or taught by GUE; Gas Management and Contingency Skills (e.g. Out-of-Gas Scenarios) are different and diverge from the core curriculum of DIR-Fundamentals through current GUE Tech, Rebreather & Cave Courses. (DIR Sidemount is used; see GI3's weird rant: http://www.innerrealm.co.nz/dir_details.asp?pk=45)

FishDiver:
Why does the DIR community advocate manifold doubles versus fully independent (primary/secondary for each tank) doubles? I have not taken fundies but it seems the independent setup would be less error prone.

I discussed this with my DIRF instructor since I had done some ID diving before the course when no manifolded twins were available.

His main argument against them was that it complicates gas planning and gas management (since you need to keep monitoring two SPG's and switching between two tanks) and therefore increases task loading and complicates things, whereas the DIR concept is to keep everything as straightforward as possible.

I asked about when manifolded twins are just not available, and he said you should bring your own and build the twins on site (something he said he used to do back in the day), and went as far as to say that he would rather not do the dive at all than to do it on independents. So that's the DIR answer I believe.

edit: this was w.r.t. back-mounted ID's. I believe there is room for side-mounts in the DIR philosophy when necessary.

FishDiver:
Independent dubs increase task loading and complicate air sharing.

Human are much much more error prone than equipment. Independents maximize the potential for human error while minimizing the chance of total equipment failure, which is already so rare - its a false tradeoff.

Once you recogize that your skills and abilities are much more of a weak link than equipment you're on your way to a simplistic gear configuration with honed skills, i.e. the essence of a DIR diver.

*Floater*:
I. I believe there is room for side-mounts in the DIR philosophy when necessary.

From a die hard sidemounter I will be interested to see how this will be occur. Sidemount doesn't emphasize the team,but the individual;plus I have yet to see a sidemount configuration that will work for an entire group. I do think that gas management training inherent in DIR would handle the dilemma of two spgs,and gas swapping well.

Kevrumbo:
Independent Doubles and Sidemount Technique is a specialized subset and not yet standardized or taught by GUE; Gas Management and Contingency Skills (e.g. Out-of-Gas Scenarios) are different and diverge from the core curriculum of DIR-Fundamentals through current GUE Tech, Rebreather & Cave Courses. (DIR Sidemount is used; see GI3's weird rant: http://www.innerrealm.co.nz/dir_details.asp?pk=45)

BY GEORGE IRVINE - Director WKPP

I just read that article and that guy's tone is what could give the *** comunity a bad name. Was that a private Email? If it was, then my appologies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom