Manta and Whaleshark in Anilao!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys is there a place , where i can see those big boys and manta for sure ,during dec-jan ?

thx

Techno, for whale sharks, the best bet is Donsol. I believe they also have a dive site down there know for frequent mantas...

Other than that, Malapascua is probably a best bet for Mantas! They have a few shoals where big pelagics come to get cleaned (mainly Thresher sharks, but Mantas too).:coffee:

I believe the dive site in Donsol is called Manta Bowl... But I'm sure one of the PPDers can correct me if I'm wrong....:coffee:

Spotted last weekend:

Manta on Saturday
Whaleshark on Sunday

AT TWIN ROCKS!!!!

Apparently the coral spawned last week and there's a lot of food in the water... viz was bad but they were there feeding...

if there's still food in the water when we dive I really hope we get lucky!

*source: Casty, my OW/AOW instructor...

Jag

Pics or BAN!

Z...

My instructor and 4 others first saw one on the night of Nov. 29 while on an AOW training night dive in front of Villa Ligaya. The huge mouth suddenly appeared infront of him and his immediate reaction was to swim backwards. It took him several moments to realize it was a whale shark, and he says it was the first time he lost his composure underwater in a decade of teaching. So everybody excitedly called me afterwards, as I was still in Manila, and while I had my doubts about seeing a whale shark in Anilao, everybody's story jived with the others, especially the 2 Chinese students in the group who, I was sure, will not lie to me, much less, fabricate such a detailed story.

The next day, on my first dive at Koala with 3 others, at around 1:30 pm, I got the surprise of my life when we saw a whale shark,a bout 15-20 feet long. We were at about 60 ft, and it swam slowly about 20 ft above us, coming from the right towards the shallow part of the reef on our left. We were so awed, nobody thought of swimming after it. We just watched as it slowly swam away. I was in Sogod 2 years ago and I was face to face with a whale shark, but I tell you this encounter was much more exciting. This was Anilao, after all, our regular weekend playground, and we were diving Koala, which we only chose because it was close to where we were staying and we were too lazy for a long boat trip (we were also tired of Cathedral).

None of the boatmen, nor other non-diving Anilao residents, were a bit surprised or doubtful of our experience, because, we were told, there were numerous surface sightings of whale sharks around Anilao recently. You better believe it guys, there ARE whale sharks in Anilao. Maybe eventually, some pattern of their movements can be established so that we can encounter these awesome creatures more often.

yeahbaby.gif

would have been better if matthew posted this...

tata matthew saw a whaleshark yesterday at kirby's :D

with the recent sightings i guess even whalesharks are finding anilao a terrific place to hang out :rofl3:

My instructor and 4 others first saw one on the night of Nov. 29 while on an AOW training night dive in front of Villa Ligaya. The huge mouth suddenly appeared infront of him and his immediate reaction was to swim backwards. It took him several moments to realize it was a whale shark, and he says it was the first time he lost his composure underwater in a decade of teaching.

maybe the WS went after the plankton attracted by the instructor's dive light. i've seen videos of divers using lights to lure mantas into swooping close to them at night.

maybe the WS went after the plankton attracted by the instructor's dive light. i've seen videos of divers using lights to lure mantas into swooping close to them at night.

Yup, that's exactly what they said - there was a lot of stuff in the water that gathered in front of their dive lights.

Back
Top Bottom