Manta dives - Jack's or Bottom Time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sauruman

Reaction score
Anyone tried both ops? Which is the better one for ~3 days of boat diving and a manta night dive?

We're gettin' really excited now. Also, can we take a 'normal' rental car on the saddle road or do we need a 4WD?

cheers all!

I dove with Kona Coast Divers and they were great, but a very experienced friend will only dive with Jack's. He's got 5000 dives and says Jack's is one of the best he's been with. I think the biggest challenge of the Manta dive is for the op to get all the clients back to the right boat.

A regular rental car will work. If your going up the moutain it's 4WD only but a compact rental car will make it, just don't spin your tires all the way and rember this is even higher than flying.
All the dive operators go to the same spot save one. Big Island Divers has a "secret" spot to go to when the plankton count is down in front of the harbor. It's a boat ride but they are willing to burn the fuel to get you there.

George Scherman:
I dove with Kona Coast Divers and they were great, but a very experienced friend will only dive with Jack's. He's got 5000 dives and says Jack's is one of the best he's been with. I think the biggest challenge of the Manta dive is for the op to get all the clients back to the right boat.

Respectfully, if divers do not make it back to the right boat on the night dive (I'm assuming we're talking the Garden Eel cove spot which has been the primary location for the last 5 years), then the DM is doing something wrong. There are only 4 moorings, the DM should know where they are and direct divers back to the appropriate boat. Getting lost should not be an option on this dive, yet I've seen it happen, if it happens and requiresw any more than a quick surface by the DM to get a heading, then maybe the DM isn't alltogether on top of things

Jack's does a good job, as do several others. How many of the two dozen or so Kona dive ops has your friend dove with? Point being, there are lots of good options for that dive.

Not meant to be criticism, but it concerns me when divers end up at the incorrect boat.

later,

Thanks everyone.

Jacks seems to always get rave reviews, so they must be doing a lot of things right. Misplacing divers would not be one of them. :11:
Too many people/DM in the water maybe?

I suppose the good news is that it would be hard to go wrong with any of
wanna-dive-kona, bottom time, big island divers or Jacks. I was just wondering if any of them had a special take on the Manta situation as that will no doubt be a key dive. Big Isand's 'secret location' is intriguing - shows good planning to have an alternate, so I wonder why the other ops haven't looked for ones of their own. Too much $$ to get people out to them given the cost of fuel?

Also, thanks for the note on the rental car. The cost of a 4WD is pretty high and if we don't need one, then so much the better. A guide book warned that some companies won't insure you if you drive the saddle road in their vehicles. Aside from if you try to go up the mountain to see the observatories, is it really that bad? What's the problem?
Just curious is all...

Cheers

We used that gudie book and even though most of the info was good - The recommended Chinese restaurant was the worst Chinese food I have ever had - anywhere. The ice cream place - waaaay up north was at best average also.

sauruman:
Aside from if you try to go up the mountain to see the observatories, is it really that bad? What's the problem?
Just curious is all...
:D
Cheers
We drove the saddle road in August of this year, and it was easy in our dorky little rental chevy. Make sure your tank is FULL, as the elevation and steepness of the paved road to the Mauna Kea visitor center really sucks fuel. The Chevy said "no more, Please!"...so we didn't go past the visitor center. Views are INCREDIBLE. Pavement is bumpy from Kona side up to saddle...everyone drives straddling the center line when possible bacause it's smoother. Road from saddle peak down to Hilo side looks like a fantasy video game... smooth, wide, big shoulders, jet black pavement and brilliant painted lines.

Since you are diving, PLEASE be careful of the elevation on these roads for 24 hours after diving.
Saddle road: 6,000 feet. Observatory visitor center: can take you to 11,000.
Coast road from Kohala coast to Hilo: over 3,000 feet. Volcano National Park: 4,000 feet. Pay attention to those tiny bubbles whooshing through your bloodstream. Drink a lot of water...

And have fun!!! Jacks does a great job on the Manta night dives! Take off your snorkle, and don't wear any kind of hood or cap if you can avoid it... the Mantas sometimes like to rub on diver's hair as you kneel on the bottom :D :D
Aloha,
Claudette

sauruman:
Also, thanks for the note on the rental car. The cost of a 4WD is pretty high and if we don't need one, then so much the better. A guide book warned that some companies won't insure you if you drive the saddle road in their vehicles. Aside from if you try to go up the mountain to see the observatories, is it really that bad? What's the problem?
Just curious is all...
I dont think any of the rental co's want you to go off road.
What you want to do is rent the jeep and try to take it from south point ne to the green sand beach.
If you're a good off road driver, you can make it at least half way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom