Manta diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi. Is the Manta diving seasonal like some other big animal sightings or are they there year round? I realize that some of the viewing depends on their food being around. I will be in Kona May 7-10 and am hoping to do the Manta Dive (probably the one where you do an evening dive and then the night dive). Anything else can't miss? If I could, I would just dive the entire time, but I should spend time with my family too! Any suggestions on dive ops? Also, we will have our 7 y.o. and will want to take him snorkeling (separate trip) to see critters--is this best done by shore or on a boat? Thank you in advance for your help!

The Manta dives are year round. They also have snorkeling on the manta dives. A floating ring is set in the water and the snorkelers hang from it. If you picked your snorkel site carefully you could do it from shore, I would use a boat just because the surf can pick up suddenly and that could really slam a youngster.

For an easier snorkel option, there's a lot of Turtles at Kahaluu Beach Park. They're protected there (everywhere on Hawaii) and often sun themselves on the rock ledges. It's 6' or less for a long way out. I don't think it gets much over 10' anywhere. The fish are incredibly tame also, often coming right up to you. Kahaluu Beach Park Snorkeling Secrets! The Complete Guide to Big Island Snorkeling!

Back
Top Bottom