Mantis Shrimp; just another one of God's creatures.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS:
They are tasty, kind of a cross between lobster and shrimp.

I used to shrimp off the bridges in Miami and people would get them in their nets. I would always volunteer to take them off their hands. Surprisingly, most people were glad to get rid of them.

We have acquired some of these monsters and tried to cook them. We tried to boil them, we tried to fry them. No matter what we do - the meat seems to vanish in front of our eyes... Can you please tell us what to do with these suckers? :06:

I read they have a strike clocked at 1/32,000 of a second! Fastest strike on earth. It is literarily one of those, “I am going to hit you with my right hand, want to see it again?” Things. They are cool to watch. I saw one about 6 inches long or so, at Topaz Jetty in Redondo Beach CA. They are pretty and so cool to watch.

I saw a documentary that slowed the shrimp's strike down so that you could actually see the little flash of light just before impact. They're so fast that when they strike, it heats up the water molecules around the claw to boiling point and the steam instantly implodes causing a flash of light (or something). It was complicated but pretty amazing.

Back
Top Bottom