Many of you Have a VIRUS - PLEASE READ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All you have to do is update your virus definitions. Basically all the antivirus programs continuously update their database of viruses. All modern AV programs prompt you regularly to download the new definitions.

In all no need to panic rather be cautious of all these AV links on the board maybe some of them will give you a vius!!

What kind of thing is that to say? If you look at the links posted in this thread, they are all to well known, well respected anti-virus sites.

Anti-virus.com is part of the Trend Micro network which provides many of the other anti-virus sites with their virus definitions.

The two different places mentioned above are 2 of the top 3 in the Computer Industry. Why do you think everybody uses them to compare the up and comers to? ZDnet regularly makes reference to both of these companies in the articles and product reviews.

And yes, there is a reason to "panic". It is not just as simple as updating your virus definitions, you also have to keep the engine version current. If you have an old program engine, the new definitions will not do you any more good than if you had no protection at all.

The Sircam worm virus has spread all over the world. It maxes out Symantec's threat assessment scales and they say it is still speading. I am still getting at least 10 to 15 emails a day with this thing attached.

Virus protection is not something to take lightly.

This is the kind of panic situation I'm talking about.

If you have a MODERN AV program then the regular updates will take care of the viruses. As new viruses are developed then the AV coys produce updates.

Use the site of your AV program, do not relie on these amateur postings to solve your problems however well intentioned they maybe.

Would you not agree that if you follow the steps I have outlined you should be in good sted?

"Use the site of your AV program, do not relie on these amateur postings to solve your problems however well intentioned they maybe."

Just out of curiosity, what sites would you recommend if you think these,

... sarc.com/avcenter/... sircam.worm ...

... symantec.com/avcenter/.../fix.happy99.worm.htm

symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

are "amateur"?

Egg,

The sites listed above are the world leaders in virus protection.

Are you trying to tell me you don't know about Symantec/Norton, McAfee and Trend Micro? Without those 3, none of the others would exist.

The links that were posted in this thread are directly to those company's websites. When you run the updates for your AV program, it logs directly into those same sites. I hardly think you are going to get a virus by visiting their website.

I don't know which is more funny, the fact you think those sites are some sorta jokes or that KN's posts on computer topics are "amateur postings".

Viruses are a serious thing. It's everyone's responsibility to protect their machines from damaging viruses in order to minimize infection and therefore damage. Anyone whom belittles a potentially malicious virus is just asking for trouble.

Leaving your machine undefended is the equivalent of going to a world famous dive site with only a snorkel. It's just stupid no matter how you look at it.

Here's a good link to take a look at to see what's right for you.

If only those who write viruses could get caught up in something as addictive as this board, or in diving itself, the computer world would never have to fear...

Back
Top Bottom