Mapating Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twomixdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Today, TDI instructor Daniel Bergaud and I did a dive at Mapating Cave. Upon entering the left cavern we both noticed that cave line was tied leading into the restriction to goes down to more than 200 feet deep.

Daniel has expressed concern that the aforementioned line may serve as a lure to untrained and ill-equipped divers . He is therefore requesting that the person or persons involved in placing this line remove the same at the earliest opportunity.

Thank you.

Gordon S. Cancio
Scuba Stop Dive Shop
1047 Metropolitan Ave.
Makati City
Philippines
tel: 895 4531
fax: 890 4544
www.scubastoponline.com

Twomixdiver:
Today, TDI instructor Daniel Bergaud and I did a dive at Mapating Cave. Upon entering the left cavern we both noticed that cave line was tied leading into the restriction to goes down to more than 200 feet deep.

Daniel has expressed concern that the aforementioned line may serve as a lure to untrained and ill-equipped divers . He is therefore requesting that the person or persons involved in placing this line remove the same at the earliest opportunity.

i know several divers that did mapating alst week and laid some line. they removed it though after exiting the restriction.

I have gotten wind of some caves in Samar that are quite extensive. Does anybody know anything about them?

andibk

andibk:
I have gotten wind of some caves in Samar that are quite extensive. Does anybody know anything about them?

andibk

yes there was a italian expedition some weeks ago and they have stumbled upon an extensive system supposedly the biggest in the country. Contact bobby m. he knows quite a lot about it.

Perhaps a sign at the cave entrance similar to the ones used in Florida. Maybe a skull and cross-bones saying "There is nothing worth dying for here. Do not enter if you are not cave trained." Heck, I'd even donate toward the cost and placement of the sign if it will help prevent any more memorials in there.

Halthron:
Perhaps a sign at the cave entrance similar to the ones used in Florida. Maybe a skull and cross-bones saying "There is nothing worth dying for here. Do not enter if you are not cave trained." Heck, I'd even donate toward the cost and placement of the sign if it will help prevent any more memorials in there.

there have been signs before but they use cheap materials and end up deteriorating in no time

Halthron:

The problem is that many people are doing this 150 foot dive on single tanks. Imagine some narked diver entering the deep restriction with a UK40 light.:shakehead

Don't laugh... I've seen it done.:shakehead

Twomixdiver:
The problem is that many people are doing this 150 foot dive on single tanks. Imagine some narked diver entering the deep restriction with a UK40 light.:shakehead

Don't laugh... I've seen it done.:shakehead
Wow! 150 foot on a single tank in an overhead environment?. I'm surprised nobody has had any accident at the site yet.

The line makes the third cave more accessible to divers, which can be both good or bad. I'm back in the US now so it won't be affecting me, but one solution would be remove the first part of the line so that people passing the enterance to the deeper cave won't see it, but those that know it's there could still find and use it upon entering.

Back
Top Bottom