Mares Abyss in cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im no Ice expert but I think somewhere I read one should only use diaphragm regs in ice diving anyway, which I would stick to cause yes all the moving parts are surrounded by water, in a piston reg. Any views on this???? pls

i have about 50 dives under the ice . I use atomic m1's witch are sealed piston and never have had a major issue . i have seen all reg freeze under the ice . Diaphragm regs tend not to freeze as easy but atomic has really bridged the gap now and has a piston reg that can go any were a diaphragm can go and breath better doing

And btw in tobermory On. the #1 free flow reg is the scubapro mk25 and the mares abyss

i have about 50 dives under the ice . I use atomic m1's witch are sealed piston and never have had a major issue . i have seen all reg freeze under the ice . Diaphragm regs tend not to freeze as easy but atomic has really bridged the gap now and has a piston reg that can go any were a diaphragm can go and breath better doing

And btw in tobermory On. the #1 free flow reg is the scubapro mk25 and the mares abyss
If that's true ... and I'd be interested in the details of the study that yielded that conclusion ... I'd suggest that speaks more to the misuse of the regulators in that environ, e.g., inhaling before getting underwater, than it does the regulator itself. I've used the Abyss in the coldest water on earth with surface air temperatures way below freezing with no issues whatever.

double post - Mod please delete

I have also used the abysss for years in colder than 38f water and under ice without any free flows. I do not have "cold water kits" on either my abyss, or my mares v32 on my pony set-up. I choose not to mess with something that works.

Please dont install the cold water kit its useless and actually dangerous go to this website and find out why Ocean Gladiator Inspired Training Decochek Mark Ellyatt Technical Diving this guy also dives with it to 300m + so dont change it it is brilliant allready

Well, I don't know about the abyss, I'm sure it's a fine reg, but I agree that in 90% of cases, environmental sealing is probably more about marketing than safety. I LOVED the guy's entertaining rant on DIR, titled "scientology meets scuba" or something like that. Man, people really get worked up about this stuff.

double post

Well, I don't know about the abyss, I'm sure it's a fine reg, but I agree that in 90% of cases, environmental sealing is probably more about marketing than safety. I LOVED the guy's entertaining rant on DIR, titled "scientology meets scuba" or something like that. Man, people really get worked up about this stuff.
Whilst Mark may be onto something for extreme depths, I think he's way off base for extreme cold water above, say, 200 feet. As for his DIR comments, they're a hoot ... an extremist's view of another flavor fool-aid.

I was just ice diving today- we had 12" of ice! My buddy said it was 37f on the bottom. Mine read 41f, but my gauge reads slowly. We were just below 100' and the regs worked just fine with no cold water kit.

Well, this morning, water 5C, no "cold water kit" or any marketing blah blah - both regs worked fine without any problem (switched regs under water to release SMB). Both are Abyss.

Back
Top Bottom