Mares Guardian ErgoTrim BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan_ph1l1p

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, wanting to know if anyone has experience with the Mares Guardian ErgoTrim BCD. I see online it’s a jacket style BCD but I can’t seem to find any reviews on it. I can only find for the Prestige does anyone know if they are similar. Otherwise can someone recommend a great jacket style BCD.

My hometown doesn’t have any decent dive shops so I need to do research before driving 3h to the closest town with decent stores. Thanks I’m advance

Most all of my dive gear is Mares but their BCD's are big and bulky. It will help to know if you are going to be diving locally or just traveling to sun destinations to dive? That way, I can give you better recommendations

Most all of my dive gear is Mares but their BCD's are big and bulky. It will help to know if you are going to be diving locally or just traveling to sun destinations to dive? That way, I can give you better recommendation
Mostly local diving, quite possibly the occasional travel.

I would look at the Scuba Pro Hydros X BCD. It's expensive but you can replace individual parts if they wear out. https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/bcds/bcds/hydros-x-bcd-men

I'd also recommend a Scubapro Hydros X if you want a "jacket" style BC. It will work well for local diving but it may be a little heavy and bulky for travel.

If you are doing to be doing a combo of local and travel, I'd recommend the Scubapro Hydros PRO instead of the "X". I have been using Hydros PRO for few months now and it is awesome. I have seen numerous excellent reviews for the Pro in FB diving groups as well as from friends who use it before I bought it. It has enough lift for local and tropical diving with weight pockets, etc. for local diving plus is lighter weight and packs compact for travel. I very much prefer Scubapro BC's over Mares (I have owned and used both over the past 25+ years for myself and in my dive school). Scubapro BC's have been MUCH more reliable and comfortable. The weight pocket system is much more reliable and robust in the Scubapro BC's than Mares also.

I have also used the Scubapro Seahawk 2 BCD for travel and local diving and it is comfortable, very light weight and has all the bells and whistles. It has a soft backpack and you can fold it almost like a t-shirt for travel.

I certainly prefer and use the Hydros more but it is more expensive than the Seahawk 2 BCD (it is worth the extra $$ for me).

As @Ontwreckdiver said, the Hydros is modular and you can change/replace different parts of it should they wear out or break without having to replace the entire BC.

If I’m seeing that right, it’s almost $1K for a jacket style bcd?
Seems to be a bit cheaper in South Africa, if you covert back to $ its $500 odd. still a bit pricey for something I might outgrow in a few years. I prefer the "buy once cry once" method but don't want to invest in something that might be out of my ability in the beginning if that makes sense.

I'd also recommend a Scubapro Hydros X if you want a "jacket" style BC. It will work well for local diving but it may be a little heavy and bulky for travel.

If you are doing to be doing a combo of local and travel, I'd recommend the Scubapro Hydros PRO instead of the "X". I have been using Hydros PRO for few months now and it is awesome. I have seen numerous excellent reviews for the Pro in FB diving groups as well as from friends who use it before I bought it. It has enough lift for local and tropical diving with weight pockets, etc. for local diving plus is lighter weight and packs compact for travel. I very much prefer Scubapro BC's over Mares (I have owned and used both over the past 25+ years for myself and in my dive school). Scubapro BC's have been MUCH more reliable and comfortable. The weight pocket system is much more reliable and robust in the Scubapro BC's than Mares also.

I have also used the Scubapro Seahawk 2 BCD for travel and local diving and it is comfortable, very light weight and has all the bells and whistles. It has a soft backpack and you can fold it almost like a t-shirt for travel.

I certainly prefer and use the Hydros more but it is more expensive than the Seahawk 2 BCD (it is worth the extra $$ for me).

As @Ontwreckdiver said, the Hydros is modular and you can change/replace different parts of it should they wear out or break without having to replace the entire BC.
Thanks for all the info, I just have one question. Does it push you forward "face down" as some people say when you "above water" if that makes sense for lack of better terminology?

I did a bit of research into the Hydros Pro when I started looking and wasn't sure if it might n to be for divers starting out, what's your thoughts?

Seems to be a bit cheaper in South Africa, if you covert back to $ its $500 odd. still a bit pricey for something I might outgrow in a few years. I prefer the "buy once cry once" method but don't want to invest in something that might be out of my ability in the beginning if that makes sense.

Get a simple backplate and wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom